telenovela

g i o v a n a

g i o v a n a

"Ah, ¡con razón! Viendo estás porquerias así te embarazaste, ¿eh?"

I look up from the TV screen, prying my eyes for a few seconds to look at the disapproving look on my mom's face, before turning back to the screen with the tub of strawberry cheesecake ice cream and entering a large spoonful into my mouth.

"It's just Jane The Virgin, ma'." I say after, digging the spoon back into the container harshly. Surprisingly, this helped with the anger I felt. And so did the ice cream. Also the show.

Mami scoffed, dusting around the house with one of goldo's shirt from los siglos 80. I swear, this woman does not throw out anything. Most of the rags around the house are old clothes from all three of us, and the other clothes that don't fit, we don't want or she decides we don't need or don't wear get shipped to her family in DR.

Most of the containers in this house are a damn lie. The old country butter containers always have some other shit like habichuelas, guandules, even meat any other shit you can think of BUT butter. The only thing she never tried to reuse were the ice cream containers because they are usually made of paper and deteriorated after some time. And you know these moms don't play with the danish cookie containers, and they are the reason all Hispanic kids have trust issues.

"Ma', could you get the cucharon? Please." This small spoon wasn't cutting it anymore. The house was mainly filled with miniature like spoons, jut because a year or two ago when Goldo started to put on a good amount of weight, she thought she could serve him less and he'd think he's eating more because he would scoop a small amount at a time.

"¡Pero párate, muchacha!" She exclaims, making me grunt and I decide to just get it during the commercial break to not miss the show. Totally dismissing that point, my mother comes and stands before it, blocking my perfect view. "¡Tú solo comes y te hartas helado! Para ese culo."

"Ma, I've been doing this for only four hours." I point out, sticking a mother spoonful in my mouth and moving my head to get around all her booty. "Ma, please !" I motioned with my head for her to love aside, which she did and walked away mumbling something. In the next seconds I hear spoons clattering, and Mami comes back with the cucharon and I thank her as she takes the smaller spoon and I place my eyes back on the screen.

Back to my shit.

➰➰➰➰➰➰

"Ya veo. Itan es el blanquito, Joaquín es el dueño del hotel y tu eres la protagonista, la Juana." Mami comments, and me, Tia Gladys, Marisa and Gloriana all grunt at the same time.

"Ma' stop. Ya te dije que este show no tiene nada que ver con mi vida." I repeat, attacking the tub again as it's passed down to me.

"I see it..." Gloriana butts in. "Joel is rich like Rafael, Rafael is a Mexican name which means Rafael in the show could be Mexican. Jane carries the baby and by Joel's absence throughout the pregnancy it was like he was a sperm donor, and I mean you didn't even mean to get pregnant. Not to mention that we all thought you were a virgin. And-"