friend

g i o v a n a

g i o v a n a

I couldn't believe it.

"Hey," for once he actually seemed to cover up how he really feels about me and manages a small smile. My brain couldn't even begin to process the fact that he was here, and my heart must how forgotten how broken he left it and how much it shattered the past few days because it was beating harder than ever. Just for him.

"H-Hi." I finally managed, the heat rising to my cheeks, and avoiding to meet his gaze. How could I just pretend everything was fine after he kissed that girl? After he continues to  paint himself a new person and wipe any trace of us away in front of everyone?

The music began to play once again, and I sighed a breath of relief once everyone seemed to go back to what they were doing prior to Joel's arrival. He couldn't stop smiling at Penelope as he held her, and she seemed comfortable enough, but I didn't dare leave her side just if she were to need me. God, I couldn't even move. I was frozen in place the minute Joel bore his eyes into my own, and looking into them as he stares at our daughter, I could feel the tiny tingles beginning to form at my knees and making its way up my body.

How many times did I envision myself seeing him again? I bet thousands, and now that he's here I can't bring myself to say or do anything because the reality doesn't wash away just because he's in front of me.

"How is she doing?" Joel pries his eyes away from Penelope for a second, bringing me out of my small trance. I look to him but no words seem to escape my mouth or form in my brain.
He arched an eyebrow at me, studying me with a blank expression.

"She's uh— good, very good." I look away from him again, and take her small hand into my own as she reaches out for me. Soon enough she's getting a little fussy, so Joel hands her over before she can cry. In the process our fingers touch, and I have to close my eyes just to control the overwhelming rush of electricity and pain that flash through me. "She just..she doesn't recognize you yet." Penelope sinks into my chest, but her brown eyes stay glued on Joel. By the way she clings on to my necklace I know she is in need of a nap.

My breath hitched as Joel in small attempts to still stay close to Penelope, takes a step towards me and caresses the tiny hand that clasps the necklace. He must have sensed how hard my heart was beating, or maybe the slight heaving of my chest and his hand dropped to his sides as he awkwardly looked away from me. His face showed a slight hint of annoyance or maybe even irritation, but what I could I even do?

"Can I just have her back?" He asks after a small minute of silence. I manage to get some saliva down my dry throat and nod, handing her back over to Joel. This didn't sit well with Penelope and I see her eyes welt with tears, and I immediately take her back, not wanting to let her cry just to hold her again.

"She's just a little scared, give me a few.." I didn't even finish before Joel nodded, and I made my way back inside the house. I fetched the diaper bag from the kitchen counter and headed to the only room besides Patricia's that I knew of in the house. I didn't mean to barge in and be rude, but the noise from the chatting adults in the living room would only irritate Penelope more, so I just frankly needed a quiet place to be in. I made it to the closest room and didn't even bother to look around as I pulled out a bottle with water and then the can of formula. With the scoops in, I put that away and placed the lid back on single handedly before I shook it for a few seconds and placed it in Penelope's mouth. I handed her the rattle, and held the bottle in place for her as I paced around the room.