C H A P T E R T W E N T Y T W O *

Start from the beginning

"Ma!" Chelsea gasped at how bluntly she answered the question.

"Let me finish." She pleaded. "I need to say this." She stated horsely swallowing the lump lodged in her throat. "You were supposed to stay theirs because I never wanted you to know where you really came from. You deserved better."

"I deserved real parents. I deserved you just as much as Chelsea did. What kind of mother gives away one child but keeps the other?"

"Angela. Baby please dont. This has nothing to do with your sister. "

"No I wanna know. Was I not good enough? What is the difference between Chelsea and I ?"

"Your father's .." She mumbled low but not low enough to go unnoticed. "He was no good but I didn't see it. Everyone knew it but me and by the time I realized... By the time I realized." She repeated as the tears fell from her eyes. "He was toxic baby I needed to get away from him and everything that reminded me of him."

"Including me?" I choked out. "What did your relationship have to do with a child?" I asked in disbelief. "you allowed your hatred for a man to push you to give me to your sister. Someone who lacked parental skills. She hated me my whole life because YOU forced me on her. Why would you do that?"

"I'm sorry baby I --

"Of course you are." I Grunted sarcastically.

" Angel wait a minute." Chelsea interjected. "Let her explain." She turned towards Lauren and her expression softened. "Mommy what are you saying?" Again Lo was silent. Too silent. She began to shift uncomfortably in her seat. "Mommy what did he do?" She asked with tears forming in her eyes.

She remained quiet as the tears fell. At that moment it all made sense. Her silence began speaking great volume. He raped her? "I'm sorry baby." She whispered. "I never wanted you to find out this way." she apologized grabbing my shaking hands.

"Look at me Angela." She demanded. "Back then when it happened I didn't think I could bare to raise you. I needed to get away and Gwen was already married. With your father being in the army and you guys moving around so much I just knew it would work out in every ones favor. But I was wrong. God I was so wrong. I could never hate you." She smiled fingering my French braid.

   "You are so beautiful baby. You are strong independent and so bright. And an excellent mother. You are everything I've wanted you to be. And I regret not being here for you as a mother. Maybe if I had you Wouldn't be in this situation right now."

"I can't believe he arrested you." Chelsea spat in disgust. "What a bitch."

"Chelsea please." Lo shook her head with her hand up. "Angel you have to open up about what that man did to you. Not just to Anthony but to the court's. Don't be like me. I went silent for too long and it cost me too much. Its the only way you're going to get out of here baby."

"You told her?" I turned to Chelsea who wore a guilty look.

"That doesn't matter. You have to do what you have to do. Even if he doesn't believe you. I'm going to see your lawyer tomorrow. Your bail money will be ready." She reassured cradling my face and wiping the tears away. "I may have not been your mother for the past 28 years but I'm here for you now. Were gonna get through this. Together." She smiled grabbing Chelsea hand as well.

*

*

Anthony.

   "You can't do this to me Ant. Where am I gonna go?" Tracey pleaded as I stuffed the remaineder of her things into the small duffle bag.

"That isn't my problem. Not any more." I shrugged indifferently. "I don't even need the results. I know you aren't pregnant." I stated confidently. "You will not sit around and continue to manipulate and use me I won't allow it." I spat shoving the bag towards her. "Now go."