A mint of delight

Soon after their delicious meal in the Great Hall, it was time for the yearly announcements

       Soon after their delicious meal in the Great Hall, it was time for the yearly announcements. Harriet could understand why several people laughed at the dire pronouncement that the third-floor corridor would lead to a swift death, as Dumbledore presented the idea comically, but neither Draco nor any of the Slytherins laughed; apparently, their House took death threats too seriously. Dumbledore made a few more announcements before leading the school on a jubilant rendition of the school's song, which everyone sang to a different tune with the Weasley twins finishing last to a very slow funeral march.

"Ah, music," the headmaster stated, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all that we do here! And now, bedtime. Off you trot!"

The journey to the Gryffindor dorms was a bit long, given the rather convoluted and confusing path they took. Harriet walked the entire way with Ron and Hermione, the three attempting and most likely failing to memorize the route there. Eventually, the first-years and the fifth-year Prefect who was leading them arrived at the very end of the corridor, in the Gryffindor tower, hung a portrait of a very fat woman in a pink silk dress.

'Password?' she said.

'Caput Draconis,' said Percy, and the portrait swung forward to reveal a round hole in the wall. They all scrambled through it – Neville needed a leg up – and found themselves in the Gryffindor common room, a cozy, round room full of squashy armchairs

"Password, please," she asked gently, her voice smooth and cultured.

"Aeternitas," the Prefect responded. "Did you have a nice summer, Elizabeth?" she inquired.

"Why, yes, I did. Francis and I visited the portrait of Andalusia the entire time. I hope you had a nice time as well." She curtsied, and the portrait swung open, revealing an archway entrance.

"Welcome to Gryffindor," both Percy and his female companion called loudly.

The Prefect guided the others into the Gryffindor Common Room, the first-years inhaling sharply at the sight, were welcomed by the roaring fire, stuffed armchairs, and the great view we have from our windows. The dormitories are reached by climbing the winding mahogany staircase, decorated with crimson and gold. There's plenty of gold around the tower. The four-portraits are covered with thick scarlet blankets and are embroidered with gold. Gold chandeliers cast warm glows all around. The common room was quite a circular room decorated in several shades of red, which is associated with the house. 

  Their are many windows that look out onto the grounds of the school, and a large fireplace dominates one wall. The mantle of the fireplace is adorned with a portrait of a lion. The fireplace is also connected to the Floo Network, but as it is extremely public except in the dead of night. The walls are decorated with scarlet tapestries that depict witches and wizards, but also various animals. There are also bookcases located in the room, filled with various novels. There were also several portraits and what Harriet assumed were magical windows, which depicted a night-time view of the lake and the forest at ground-level.