Chapter 4: Dibs

Her

About another hour passed of Jace and I sitting and talking and I found myself actually starting to enjoy his company. He was funny and charming and he made me laugh. Thankfully, he didn't ask me any more questions about myself but rather started to tell me stories about things that had happened to him. He told me about the time that he had pranked his teacher in the seventh grade and the time he and a friend had broken into his neighbor's pool and got caught skinny dipping. All of his stories ended with me in a fit of giggles. It wasn't awkward anymore, in fact, it felt natural to be talking to him. I was glad that he had walked into the cafe today.

I hadn't even realized that my shift was nearing its end until I heard a voice shout from the back of the cafe, "Jaaannnneeeeyyyy! How's it going? Has this been just the most exciting day of your entire life?"

Both Jace and I jumped. I had been so wrapped up in our conversation that I almost forgot I was at work. I turned to look behind me only to see a very snowy looking Penny coming through the back door. She stomped her shoes on the ground, trying to get the snow off. She took off her scarf and coat and walked into the back where I knew she was going to hang up her coat.

I looked back at Jace and smiled. "That's Penny. My shift is over. She's come to take over for me."

"Oh," Jace mumbled. His shoulders deflated.

"Please tell me you didn't spend your entire day cleaning; I told you not to." She paused. "Although, I guess that wouldn't be too bad for me," Penny said, coming into the front. She looked at me. "Hey, I wanted to tell you- Holy fuck!"

Her gaze had fallen on Jace who was now sitting on top of the counter, his legs dangling off the side away from me. I frowned at her obvious attraction to him. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

I stood up awkwardly. "Penny, this is Jace. Jace, this is Penny," I said.

Penny came forward and jerked her hand out for Jace to shake. He hopped down from the counter, taking her hand in his. "Hi, Penny. Nice to meet you," he said.

"And you as well, Jace. Nice outfit," she replied, letting her eyes scan him from head to toe. I scowled. I suddenly couldn't help imagining her and Jace ending up together. Penny was one of my first ever friends, but she was also much prettier and more outgoing than me. Any guy would be lucky to have her. Jealousy came rising up my chest. Penny looked over at me. "And Jace would be...?"

"Oh, um, Jace, well, we actually just met. He, um..." I stammered.

"I needed to get out of the storm and Jane here offered to let me come in and warm up and make me a hot chocolate. And we ended up talking," Jace finished for me.

I cringed. I wasn't supposed to give people free drinks. Although, I wasn't sure if Penny would care or not. She wasn't my boss or anything. "He was just keeping me company." I gave him a small smile.

Penny looked between the two of us, a knowing look on her face. "Uh huh... Jane, would you come with me for a second?" Penny grabbed my arm pulling me to the door that led to the back. Jace watched us go.

Penny turned to face me when we were finally in the back. "So, what's the story? Do you call dibs?"

I blinked. "Dibs?"

Penny rolled her eyes. "Yes, dibs! Have you seen that boy out there? Someone like that is way too sexy not to call dibs on! I'm only giving you first choice because you saw him first and I'm a good friend." She waited for a second, waiting for me to respond. I just stared at her. "So do you call dibs or not?"