Chapter 3

The same feeling wafted over me, fear, panic and pain like I've never felt. Except I have felt it before, almost every night since he passed. But the pain never got any less. And it always ended the same way with me bolting up right in my bed, forcing my eyes open to realise I was just dreaming.

Wiping the sweat from my head I planted my feet on the cold wooden floors, pushing myself up. 

Ring

Ring

'Ughh', my head hurt bad.

Ring

Ring

My eyes flash to the bedside table where my phone is usually planted but its not there. Closing my eyes I try and listen to where it is. Spinning around my room I stop pointing towards my bag, 'ah hah!' My bag slumped against my room, its contents sprawled out around it. A flash of light caught my eye. What is that? 

A knife? I picked up the sharp object. 'Why would I have a knife?' Then it all came flooding back. My eyes widened and my hands loosened around the object allowing it to fall to the ground. I jumped back as it narrowly missed my feet.

'Holy crap', the women, they killed her! That women with the red hair, 'holy crap'.

Ring

Ring

My phone! I scramble through my bag reaching for my phone, the screen showing it was Josie phoning. Perfect, maybe the police have phoned her! Or got the missed calls from the cafe or they found the body! 

'Hi Josie-'

'Brie! Finally god I thought you teens always had their phones on them! Where are you?' 

'Huh? I'm at home, but Josie-'

'For god sake Brie, I can't man the cafe alone, I though you were serious about going full time,' confusion spread across my face, she must not know, 'look if full time is too much for you fine, but just let me know so I can start looking for some other help.'

'No no that's not it, listen Josie-'

'Well good then get your butt here, you're already an hour late!' She wasn't listen to me. Maybe I dreamt it? But the knife? I glanced at the clock, 8am, I was late. Maybe if I went to the cafe I could talk to Josie, get her to help me. 

I throw some clothes on, my handy black jeans that were way overdue a wash, and a random blue and white striped top. I threw the crap on the floor back in my bag, pausing to decide whether I would take the knife or not, then wrapping in a jumper and putting it in the bag.

Outside, down the stairs my bike laid on its side. Just looking at it sprawled haphazardly next to the entrance reminded me of the events last night. The pure panic that I felt. The panic that I still hadn't quite shaken off. 

I made the ride to the cafe a quick one, trying to distract myself, which meant humming Lionel Richie - all night long, the whole way. Don't ask.

Arriving at the cafe I parked the bike in the usual spot, and walked in, instantly catching Josie's, annoyed yet relieved face. 

'Good you're here, I need to go take stock and sort some of the books out can you man the front?' Before I could say anything she was gone out back. 

My thoughts were still catching up with me, before a customer politely waved me over. I didn't even have a chance to recall the last time I was standing here. I'll have to talk to Josie later, let's just get through today first. But will it seem suspicious the more time I leave it, like I had a hand in it, or I could've done something to help her. 

No stop it! I couldn't let my thoughts go there again, it wasn't my fault. I couldn't have helped her. 

'Excuse me.' My eyes flickered to the sound of the voice, a lady sitting with what I assumed was her grandchild. She looked apologetic, like she new I was in deep thought. 

'Yes, sorry, how can I help you'. 

 She glanced toward her grandchild, ' you don't happen to have any of those colouring pages do you, I'm afraid I came a little ill prepared today.'

'No of course, I think we still have some, I'll go grab it'.

I ran back behind the counter, grabbing the kids colouring sheets from one of the boxes, as I bent down to get it, the chime of the door bell sounded. I glanced quickly at the door to greet whoever had walked in, but then a flash of red hair caused be to double take.

In walked the lady, with the red hair, and the pale porcelain skin, with the patent shoes, and smart suit. Looking just out as place as she did the last time, and just as alive as she did last time.

------

Next chapter coming soon!

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to comment, always love hearing your thoughts!