"Okay, wait here. I'll go get one," Yena said, and scrambled off.

"Is she really going to get a live chicken?" Sakura mumbled.

Chaeyeon turned around, "do you want it live?"

Sakura wasn't a cruel person, but she found stuff much more delicious if the blood hadn't congealed yet. She felt bad for every pinky she'd eaten suddenly.

"E-either way is good for me," she said.

"So do you ever eat cooked stuff?" another girl butted in - Minju. "Sorry for asking, but it seems like you don't eat out a lot."

"No," Sakura huffed. "My pay at my library job is enough to cover rent and buy me pinkies."

"Pinky?" Wonyoung said. "Like the mice snakes eat?"

Sakura just yawned in response, displaying every gleaming tooth and black tongue.

Wonyoung clapped her hands together like the ten year old she truly was and giggled.

...

"I'm back- eat it quick or something!" Yena screamed, running in chased by Eunbi. She held a squawking, scratching, live hen awkwardly in her arms. Hyewon cringed and made a mental note to get the first aid kit from the back cabin afterwards.

"Oh, fucking shit," Yujin cursed when it got in a claw and scratched Yena hard enough for her to cry out and drop it on the ground. Eunbi picked it up by its torso, but it jerked its beak towards her hand and pecked at her fingers.

Hyewon ran off with Minju to collect the first aid kit.

Then Sakura found it in her arms suddenly.

"Eat it already or it'll eat you!" Yena screamed, clapping a hand over a bleeding scratch.

Panicked, Sakura muttered sorry and bit into its neck, sucking on the flesh to make sure as little blood as possible dribbled out. She hoped they had spare clothes.

She tried to eat as neatly as possible, but in the end she was gleefully tearing away at the flesh of raw chicken breast at the main dining table of the barn even as the rest of the girls watched on.

"How long will it take you to eat that?" Chaeyeon asked.

Sakura wiped a smudge of dark blood from the corner of her mouth with her thumb. "About half an hour, why?"

"I thought we might want to eat with you, seeing as I did prepare chicken for us earlier."

"Oh, okay!"

...

"Best. Meal." Yujin let out a loud belch and intertwined her fingers behind her head as she reclined in her chair. Wonyoung smacked her upside the head.

"Chaeyeon's a great cook," Hyewon said, winking. She passed a piece of cooked chicken she hadn't eaten to Sakura.

She bit into it and chewed it with a curious expression, swallowed. "If it isn't bloody it doesn't really have taste..."

"That's okay," Chaeyeon laughed, collecting the plates to wash with Eunbi.

"Is Yena alright?" Yuri chuckled. "Was a pretty intense struggle just now."

"Yea, she's good and in the back cabin with mummy arms," Eunbi said over the clank of metal dishes.

"Thank you for having me," Sakura said politely, hands folded in her lap out of habit, "I've never had people be so accepting, so I really like it here."

"Good that you think that, 'cause you might be coming round a lot," Hitomi said, fiddling with a toothpick.

"Huh?"

"I come after school to help Eunbi with her farm work a lot," Hyewon explained. "Sometimes I sleep overnight here."

"Is that why you never wear your blazer?"

"Yes. It gets muddy sometimes because of the kids."

"Us?" Wonyoung and Yujin gasped together.

Sakura laughed, a pure, genuine sound that seemed to come from deep within her chest.

"Ah, we'll get going now, it's almost night," Hyewon said. She stood up and dusted her shorts.

Sakura waved bye to everyone as she followed Hyewon out of the oak door.

...

"Why did you come back? It's like nine already," Yena asked, sitting on her mattress while Eunbi redid her bandages.

"My fucking car ran out of gas," Hyewon moaned, standing in the cabin doorway.

The girls exploded into laughter. "Is Sakura with you?" Chaewon asked.

Hyewon stepped back to reveal Sakura still the same, in a bloodstained blouse and leggings.

"Oh, damn. You'd probably best stay here for tonight. It's Saturday anyway," Eunbi said. "I'll go get you some sleeping clothes."

Sakura sat comfortably on a lower bunk in a worn cotton tee and sweatpants. Hyewon didn't mind her stomach exposed as she playfully wrestled around with Yujin before Chaeyeon announced bedtime at eleven.

"Night, everyone,"

"Goodnight Chae,"