Chapter 3~ Death's Warning

Start from the beginning

          But before she could even reply, the camp exploded into horrific screams and shouts.

          "Hurry! Get him in here."

        "Be gentle, don't hurt him."

        "Everyone get back, give them some room." A group of soldiers hurried through the gate. They were struggling with something suspended between them, and when Evelyn moved closer, she realized they had their arms draped around a fourth man who was bleeding and had his head slumped down between his shoulders.

          "Easy, easy now." Carefully they set him down in the center of the camp. Those that had been training or heard the commotion moved forward for a closer look.

          Evelyn felt a sharp stab of pain in her chest to see the young boy, no older than sixteen, bleeding his heart out on the ground.

          As the murmurs rose in level, a tall, elderly man was the first to push his way out of the crowd. "What happened?" He demanded in a worried tone.

          "General, we found him near the base of the mountain," one of the soldiers spoke. "He must have run almost the entire way here."

          Another cut over him. "He was mumbling mostly nonsense when we got there but we were able to make out the words 'Shadows' and 'Ambush'. Their patrol must have been attacked and he was the only one to escape and search for help."

          "That's ridiculous." A second man barged through the crowd to the front. He didn't carry the same concerned expression that the General had. Instead his arms were folded across his chest and he was glaring furiously at the others. "Everyone knows that if there's an ambush, no one would survive. Not against those demons. He and his group probably just ran into some trouble, wolves or something, and they sent him down here to tell the rest of us."

          "Silence Kovoth." The General glared at the newcomer. "Whatever's befallen them, we still need to send a search party out just in case. If my soldiers are out there, I want at least one of them to come home alive." His eyes traveled down to the young man. The soldier's breathing had slowed almost to a standstill and his face was frozen in a grimace of pain. Evelyn closed her eyes. He would be dead in a matter of minutes and there was nothing they could do.

          The General's swallow of grief was audible even from where she stood, as he slowly raised his head. "I want four of you to form a rescue group and head to the mountains. Search for any sign of the others. There's plenty of daylight so you should be fine, but I still require all of you to bring torches just in case. Kovoth!"

          Kovoth jumped slightly and saluted. "Yes General?"

          "Select four of our best Warriors. I expect nothing less. And those of you that are chosen… stay vigilant."

          "Yes Sir." He watched as the General started back in the direction of his tent, making certain the General reached it, before Kovoth turned and produced a wide, sneering grin. Evelyn knew that look far too well. He was after revenge again. "Evelyn, would you come forward for a moment?"

          "Evie?" Mara tugged on her arm when Evelyn took a step towards him, but she forced herself to smile.

          "It's alright, I promise." She crossed the ground to stand next to him. "Yes… Captain?"

          He smirked broadly at the sarcasm in her voice. "Always so cocky young Evelyn. However, the General instructed for only the best, so when you stumble across whatever's caused this unfortunate disaster," --his grin widened-- "do be a dear and fight your hardest. It'd be a... terrible shame if something were to happen to you." She could faintly detect a chuckle in his voice.

          Cocky? Ha! He's the one who's cocky. She granted him with a overly-pleasant smile of her own. "Don't worry Captain. Me and my companions will fight with everything we have to prove that at least some of us aren't cowards." That wiped that smirk straight off his face.

          "Why you arrogant little--"

          "Excuse me sir." Wite interrupted as he darted between the two. "Perhaps I can accompany her?"

          Kovoth scowled. "Fine. Do as you wish, but will appoint the others. You're to leave at once so retrieve your weapons and head to the gate." Without another word, he stormed off towards the other Warriors.

          Only once he was out of sight did Evelyn release a shaky breath.

          "He's getting worse," Wite commented, making Evelyn glance over at him in surprise. "He wasn't this harsh to you before. What's happened between you two that I don't know about?" His intense gaze brought a blush to her cheeks.

          "You know what happened. He thinks he can have anything he wants. He's just sick, and disgusting, and furious that I refused his offer. I'm not that desperate for a promotion, and especially not with that price." She shuddered. The very thought of spending any time alone with that arrogant pig was horrific, let alone an entire night. "He can go to Hell for all I care."

          "Evie..."

          "No, Wite. I'm sick of him. He's a repulsive, vile, worthless piece of-- Mara! How long have you been standing there?"

          "Not very long." The little girl gave her an incredulous look, and Evelyn flinched. She shouldn't have had such an outburst. "Are you leaving? I don't want you to go…"

          "Oh, it's alright Mara. I'll be back soon. And if you're good, you can even stay here and watch some of the training until someone can take you back home. I'll be fine, don't worry."

          "Okay…" She didn't seem very convinced however. "But… please be safe." She moved forward to give Evelyn a brief hug before turning to trail after the Warriors returning to their work. She felt horrible for leaving Mara like that.

          "Come on. There's nothing you can do. And the sooner we head out, the sooner we can get back." Wite took her hand and gently guided her in the direction of the gate, but they paused when they neared the soldier's body.

          A few people still lingered near him, doing whatever was in their power to make his last moments as painless as possible. He was motionless enough to be dead, but a few words still whispered past his lips. "Shadows… they're coming… coming for us…"

          Evelyn gasped in shock and stumbled back. Kovoth was wrong. The others must have been attacked by Shadows. This wasn't just any ordinary rescue mission. Something horrifying had happened, and they were walking into a death trap. She had to warn Wite.

          "Death…" the soldier whispered after her as she ran towards the gate. "So much death…"

*************************************************************************

        A mysterious Rogue lurks in the encampment? A dying soldier had recently been found? And now Evelyn and Wite are embarking on a dangerous mission to search for the missing soldiers? What's really going on behind their disappearance. Is it the Shadows? Or something worse? Keep reading to find out ;)

        Rememeber, if you like the story vote and leave a comment. I never tire of hearing from my readers <3

Thank you everyone for reading this story ^-^