xxii. explaining relationship

Jin dropped me off at home after Minhyun cancelled the dinner date. I wondered why he cancelled, but I didn't mind either. I had to explain to him that I liked someone else. The only thing was, I didn't know how to do it. My main goal was to tell Minhyun fast, prolonging my explanation would made me a bad person.

I decided to text Hyesun about what happened. As if by coincidence, I got a text message from her in that exact moment.

Sunnyhyes
Are you doing ok?

Yejibean
I was just abt to text
you smt rlly shocking.

Sunnyhyes
Spill the tea!

Yejibean
So...you know me
and Jin right.

Well...he kissed me
and said that he loved
me.

I'm kind of screaming
rn becuz of that. Never
would I have expected
those words to come out
from his mouth.

Sunnyhyes
OMG FOR REAL?!

That jerk took my
advice seriously then.

"What advice?" I questioned aloud as I decided to call Hyesun to get more information about that. "What do you mean advice?"

"Yeji I am not dumb. Yet, I don't think you've realized how much you've come to like Jin. I decided to help him and you. You're welcome bitch." Hyesun replied with sass.

"Thanks...? The only thing is how do I explain this to Minhyun?" I was worried about that the most.

"Just flat out tell him. Plus you guys haven't proceeded your relationship with each other. Am I right? Or did y'all make out and I don't know." Hyesun laughed jokingly.

"HYESUN!" I exclaimed but then realized it was a bit too late in the night for that. My family would freak out and think there was a thief.

"I'm kidding. You know, you might like Jin and I might not like him as much. If he treats you right, maybe I can accept him." Hyesun got all soft. "Maybe."

"He's kind of broken on the inside." I replied. "His dad and his brother are like his enemies trying to back him up into a corner. I just wish he would find peace without them."

"Don't worry. Hardships come and go. They don't stay forever trust me. Remember in middle school, our house was about to be sold. We were all sad about it, but suddenly my brother was sponsored by a company. He's a high paying model. Although mom still gets mad about it." She tsk'ed.

"You're right." I sighed. "Thanks for the advice Hyesun."

"No problem. Just sleep peacefully. Goodnight my child." My friend cutely said before saying goodnight.

I cringed before I hung up, but I honestly hoped she was right.

- - -

I sat in the coffee shop later that afternoon waiting for Minhyun. I fiddled with my fingers as I tried playing out how to explain my situation. Do I just be straightforward or not?

I heard the bells from the shop's door and immediately looked up from my smoothie. I saw Minhyun come in with much of a tired stricken face.

"Minhyun...are you okay?" I saw light visible dark circles on his eyes.

"Yea, don't worry about it. I realized I had important exams to study for last night. Sorry I cancelled."

"No it's completely fine." I shook my head.

"By the way, why did you want to see me? I'm busy these days." Minhyun lowered his head to the glass of water that was set in front of him.

"Oh, uhm." I still tried figuring out what to say.

"Are you breaking up with me?" He sounded serious which made my heart beat faster.

"I-" The words wouldn't come out of my mouth, it's as though it was stuck in my throat. The way he said it made me feel like I was betraying him.

"I saw you and Jin last night." Minhyun replied taking a sip of the water.

"You saw us...wait before you misunderstand. I wasn't trying to use you. It's just that there was misunderstandings between the two of us. I thought he didn't like me-" My words came at a fast rate.

"Yeji." Minhyun took my hands into his.

"Hm?" I met eye contact with him.

"It's fine. I understand. I was always wondering what happened that night with the dress. If I'm guessing correctly, Jin was involved with that."

"Something like that." I felt embarrassed and didn't want to expose myself like that completely.

"It's okay, it's not like I expected a lot. Bye Yeji." Minhyun pushed his chair back with a smile.

"Wait, instead of that I hope we can stay as good friends because losing you as a friend would be sad." I tried easing up the tense atmosphere. I wished he would agree to being friends at the most.

He turned to face me and smiled. "You're right. We can stay as friends. Plus if Jin decides to he an ass, I can be there for you." He joked.

"Thanks Minhyun." I was thankful that he wasn't a difficult person.

The only person left to go around was Jin's dad.