CHAPTER ELEVEN: THERE'S A DIFFERENCE

Start bij het begin

     I glance up to find my sister staring back at me. Just her eyes are poking out from between her bangs and blanket.

     "What?" I ask when she doesn't stop. I even go as far as to nudge her with my foot.

     She rips the blanket down to reveal her grin. "Why are you smiling?"

     That's when I realize my lips are trying to defy gravity again, and I nudge her a little harder in attempt to downplay it.

     "Stop!" I yell when she only reciprocates my kicks.

     "No, you stop!"

     "No, you!"

     It's good to be home.

****

Finals are officially on the horizon. I mean, they've always been there, sitting at the end of each syllabus, but now they're burning bright like the rising sun. Highlighted on paper, in my planner, and in my phone.

     With each class I go to, I'm only dumped with more test dates, study guides and topics, final reading assignments, and paper questions. I'm trying not to freak out, but that doesn't mean I haven't already called my mom on the verge of overthinking, pre-stressing panic. Of course, she said I'll be fine, it'll be over before I know it, and I'll be home before I know it. All reassuring and motivational.

     It also helps that I'm still learning new things in my classes. The new things keep my mind distracted, my pen moving across my notebooks, and finals in the near future where they belong.

     However, Trent's leg has been bouncing up and down for the last forty minutes.

     Okay, that's an exaggeration.

     There have been a few intermissions, but they have been few and far between. And it's all distracted me more than Professor Collins' words.

     I've dwindled it down to two things.

     The reality of finals has also dawned on him, or he has to pee.

     "All right, we've got two more readings on Aristotle to go through next week. Then, we review. Any questions?" Professor Collins holds out his hands as his beady eyes scan over the room. When all he receives is silence and blank stares, he claps his hands back together. "Go eat."

     I take his words as permission to finally flip my notebook closed, while Trent's knee takes them as permission to start bouncing again. It doesn't last long because soon he's standing up and pushing in his seat. I follow suit and begin trudging up the platform-like steps, but his hand flies next to my head to catch the door from the girl ahead of us.

     "That was brutal."

     "Yeah." I nod. "It dragged a little today."

     Feet scrape and squeak against the hallway as everyone heads for the exits. We walk out the same exit we always do before stopping at the far edge of the cement pathway where we always stop. Only today Trent teeters on the grass a little.

     "So, I was wondering," he starts but then goes to scratch the back of his neck. "I mean, I know timing may be tight with classes ending soon and finals, but—" Trent moves his head to block the sun I've been squinting at, and we trade smiles for a second before he's back to teetering. "But, um, so I was wondering if you wanted to—"

     "Yo, Trent!"

     Trent's sneakers finally sink into the grass as he whirls around. There is a group—no—a gaggle of guys hanging out on the cement pathway all the way on the left. Trent flicks his hand up in a wave, but that only promotes their whistles and catcalling as they also teeter into the same large patch of grass we're on the edge of.

     "Sorry, uh, I was just wondering if—"

     "Trent!" the yell is louder and harsher, but the guys only continue to laugh when the other people walking by whip their heads around.

     Trent looks torn as he lifts his bag strap higher up on his shoulders. "I'm sorry about"—he waves his hand before taking a step closer— "Do you want to go out with me sometime?"

     "Go out." Not "hang out." There's a difference, and my internal sirens are blaring.

     "You know." Trent scratches his jaw before pulling at the skin there. "I just figured before we go on break."

     "Okay," I hear myself say before I shake my head. "I mean, yes."

     Trent froze as soon as I opened my mouth, but now I watch as the muscles he has pinched between his fingers curl up to reveal his teeth.

     "Okay," he breathes before finally dropping his hand. "Cool." He stuffs his hands in his sweatpants pockets and flashes me with a full smile as he takes a step back. "I'll text you."

     I check behind me before mimicking the step. "Okay."

     Trent sends me one more smile and a nod as he takes another step back. I send him my own version of his usual tipped up lips as I take another step. Then, we both duck, turn, and go our separate ways. That's when I finally allow a full-blown smile to grace my lips. A smile that I don't care who happens to see.