Chapter 1

Hailey's POV

I walked through the door to find my brother, Dakota, passed out on the couch. He never really gets drunk just when he is stressed so I never say anything because it doesn't happen that often. I closed the front door lightly and locked it then I started going up stairs to my room. I closed the door trying to be as quiet as I could not to wake Dakota. I walked over to my dresser and grabbed my pjs. I put on black shorts and an electric blue tank top that said "FRESH" on it in neon pink letters. I went over to my big double bed and took my favourite book "Gone With The Wind" off of my night table. I was at chapter 11 when my door bursted open. I saw my brother who was really drunk. He looked at me like a lion would look at his prey before he ripped the animals head off. This can't be good.

"Hey there little slut. What y'a reading? Some book that yet another boy gave y'a? Is that were you were tonight? Hitting it off on the corner of the street?! Sleeping with all of the guys in this little town!? You know Xander's brother said you got off great with him eh? Is that true you slut?!" He was screaming by now.

"N-no." I said barley over a whisper.

"What y'a say bitch?!" I now this is how he is when he gets drunk but everybody has their flaws, I know my brother loves me. He has too. He's the only person that I have left!

"N-n-No!" I screamed back.

"I've told you before don't scream at me whore!" Now I was on the verge of tears, but I tried to keep them in so that he wouldn't have the satisfaction he so desired.

"You are the reason that mom and dad died! If you hadn't of gotten sick then they wouldn't have to bring you to the damn hospital and they wouldn't have been fucking shot!" At that I started sobbing, I looked up at him and he was laughing. He grabbed something from behind his back and I saw a beer bottle. Oh shit what is he going to do? Just as that thought crossed my mind he broke he bottle and threw it at me. "I hate you, you fucking bitch!" He screamed then I felt the sharp bottle cut through my skin. Good thing it was only my arm. It hurt like hell! I looked down at my arm and saw blood gushing out of the wound and down my arm onto the floor. I looked up at my brother with hurt and disbelief in my eyes. He looked at me shocked, I thought I saw him sober up for barley a milisecond then he walked off.

I finally snapped out of my daze and looked down at my arm I realized that my whole arm was covered in blood and it pooled onto my carpet. I walked over to the bathroom an cleaned up my arm, I didn't think it was that bad so I didn't bother to stitch it up, I grabbed two aspirins then went to the kitchen to get water. When I neared our kitchen table I saw a note with my name on it. I picked it up and what I read shattered my heart.

Dear Hailey,

I know I hurt you and I am so sorry, you have to believe me. I never thought I could to that to you, but I guess I was wrong. Baby girl, I can't live with myself now. I took a walk to cool off but I thought and I think it would be best if you went to live with our cousins in Tulsa. I don't want to lose you baby but I can't live with you, knowing that I will probably hurt you again. I hope you understand and I will see you in the morning.

Love always, Dakota

What!? No! I can't go live with the Curtis's what will happen to my brother?! Will I ever see him again? I forgot all about my aspirin and water on the counter and ran off to my room. I silently cried myself to sleep while I looked out into the dark starry night sky with thoughts racing trough my mind. I finally let the darkness consume me and I fell into a dreamless sleep.