Bathroom Talk

9:32 am

Vernon noticed it was unusually quiet in the library. Usually there would be the occasional argument or whispers between the six detainees. But this was just too quiet. He got up from his desk to check on the six detainees-only to find they were passed out asleep in various position. He glowered at the sight. They had broken the no sleeping rule. Spoiled little PRICKS!

"WAKE UP!" he yelled.

None of them responded. Vernon thought pensively. Surely there was only one way to get their attention, given that they had been in the library for over two hours.

"Who has to go to the lavatory?" he asked.

Everyone raised their hand.

"Alright, let's go," he said gruffly. "You still have about six hours and twenty-eight minutes left."

The six detainees stretched and yawned, trying to rid the stiffness from falling asleep. Sheila shucked off her Army jacket as she was starting to feel hot. Bender cracked his neck and shoulders. Claire, Andrew and Brian rubbed their eyes sleepily.

"Last call for bathroom break!" Vernon announced in an attempt to hustle the detainees.

"AMEN! Speak now or forever hold your pee!" Sheila said, imitating a Southern Baptist minister.

Some of the detainees snickered. Claire shook her head. Vernon glared at the redhead; her voice imitations and disruptive behavior were starting to irritate him.

Once the detainees were out of their seats, the vice principal escorted them to the bathrooms. Brian walked in front. He was trying to start a conversation with Vernon, who ignored him.

"Alright, that's three minutes for the girls," he announced. "Two minutes for the boys."

"How come the girls get an extra minute?" Bender complained.

"They're the opposite sex, dodo," he answered.

"Why thank you, kind sir," Sheila quipped in a fake British accent, pretending to curtsy. "Such a gentleman."

More snickers came from the detainees. Even the disheveled girl cracked a smile.

"Knock it off, Donovan," Vernon said annoyed. "Just because you're a lady doesn't mean I won't hold back on giving you detention next Saturday."

He turned to the girls, his hand held outward to the bathroom.

"Be off, ladies," he said gesturing to their restroom. Then looked at his watch. "Haga naga! You're on the clock."

The girls rolled their eyes. Jesus! He was making this detention seem like they were at work. The girls and boys divided up and went into their bathrooms.

GIRLS BATHROOM
Claire went to the mirror to reapply her makeup. The basket case went into the stall, ignoring the two girls. Sheila went into the next stall to use the toilet, then came out to wash her hands. She saw that Claire's makeup was laid out on the shelf under the mirror. Her eyes widened at the sight. My God! How could someone need THAT much stuff? Sheila didn't wear much except for simple lipstick, sometimes some mascara and a little eye liner or eye shadow. But all in all, she preferred to keep things simple.

"Do you have any skin cream?" Claire asked. "My neck is really sad."

Sheila shook her head. "Sorry," she said.

She looked at Claire who complained about her supposedly 'sad' neck. She didn't see anything wrong. She kind of envied Claire. Her skin didn't have freckles that wouldn't stop popping up. She checked the mirror to make sure she didn't have drool on her chin after falling asleep in detention. She flicked a long strand of hair out of her face. She looked at Claire, trying to start a conversation since she barely got to talk to her in detention.