30 | Monsters

The sunset painted the sky blood red as we drove away from Alastair's house

The sunset painted the sky blood red as we drove away from Alastair's house. My time there was as enlightening as it was dreadful. We knew now what our killer was but in discovering that, I learned of the evil that was lurking just beneath my skin. All this time I was afraid of the monsters running around Twin Peaks without knowing I might be the most dangerous one.

I rubbed my arms as if somehow I could stop the crawling sensation running under my skin. The anxiety made me want to claw at myself, rip and tear away every piece of me until I gouged out the part that was threatening my sanity. What I needed was a distraction from my thoughts, but Cal had said about three words to me since his meeting with Alastair.

I glanced in his direction, eyes cataloging his profile. He had a strong jaw, that I could finally see now that he had shaved off his beard a week or so ago. From the side it was hard to see that his nose had a small crook in it. Instead it had a rather regal looking slope and point to it. The only thing that needed some tending was his hair which was beginning to curl at the bottom where it brushed against the collar of his coat.

He was a handsome man, distractingly so. My blood began to run a little hotter as I recalled the pressure of his lips on mine. Or how his calloused hands had felt running over my smooth skin. My stomach flipped and I shifted on the seat when he looked to me. His brows were drawn together in a pensive stare. I was willing to bet that things had not gone exactly the way he was hoping they would.

He turned his attention back to the highway. "I'm getting tired. I think I spotted a motel as we were coming into city limits."

"I could drive."

"No. We both need rest, a warm shower, and a good meal in us." He left no room for me to question his decision. I nodded my head and dropped my eyes to my lap. A familiar coldness had returned to his voice, and I hated it.

"Alastair doesn't want to take me on does he?" I asked when the quiet became too much for me to bear.

Cal wrung the leather of this steering wheel, pulling his shoulders together. That was as good an answer as any. There would be no safe sanctuary for me and now that I knew my circumstances better, I didn't blame anyone. I was a liability, a ticking time bomb that was at higher risk of detonating the longer I stayed with these creatures.

I let out a small breath and closed my eyes against the onslaught of emotions flowing through me. "At least tell me that Mary-Beth is--"

"He will take her on," he interrupted me.

"Oh, thank god."

He grabbed my hand and my eyes popped open. "We will figure out something else for you, Luce."

His grip on me tightened. "I know other Alphas.

"Stop." I pulled my hand free. "Just stop."

"What?"