24 | Factions

This town was hazardous to my health

This town was hazardous to my health. At this point, it was either going to be the stress or being a murder that was going to do me in. I had been running around all morning for Vanderville's. Helena had given me a laundry list of tasks that she needed to be completed by the end of the week. Apparently being out "sick" had only meant that I would be required to work twice as hard to make up for my absence.

Honestly, all of this was making me miss my old life. It had been so much easier, nicer—safer. I missed the beauty of the art and culture that surrounded it. My whole career was shot to shit and there wasn't much I could do about that. I just had to pick up the pieces of my life and try to make sense of the mess.

It was hard to believe that I had been so naïve before Twin Peaks. There had been so much of the world hidden from my view, a world deeply connected to me. I wasn't comfortable knowing the things I now knew, but at the same time, there was a sliver of me that finally felt at peace. I had been searching my whole life for a place I belonged because I'd always felt like an outsider everywhere I went. I mean, maybe that was the blight of every young adult trying to find their way in a chaotic world.

Speaking of the chaotic world—I had been called in by Mary-Beth's school. There had been some kind of issue on campus that required my presence. I knew it couldn't be anything good, and it was coming at the worst time. It had interrupted my flow of work and elevated my stress levels. I hoped that it was simply an attitude problem, but all I could think was that she had shifted in front of a bunch of kids—that's the last thing that we needed at this moment.

I parked my truck in the parking lot outside the campus, sitting for a moment in the silence. I rolled my shoulders, hoping to relieve the tension that had been building. I'd known it was a bad idea to let Mary-Beth go back to school and I'd still let myself be persuaded against my better judgment. This was all Callum Wolfe's doing. I'd let myself get wrapped up in him that I'd lost all my good sense. I heaved an irritated sigh as I grabbed my keys from the ignition and got out of the truck. I spotted a familiar form, frowning.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed at Cal as I made my way up the stairs to the entrance of the main building of the school. I had done my best to avoid him since our kiss and I had done so well at accomplishing that task. Now, I was beginning to think that the only reason I had been able to avoid him is that he had allowed it.

He arched a brow as he opened the door for me, "Roxie called me. Told me that Mary-Beth was in trouble. I came to check in on her."

I scrunched up my nose in irritation as I passed him, "Yes, well I think I can handle this on my own, Cal. I'm her guardian after all. I can take care of these things without you. I'm not completely inept, no matter what you may think."

He ignored my dismissal of him, falling into step beside me, "I've never thought you were inept." He replied casually. I glanced up at him, a little surprised. I had figured he thought I was completely incapable of basically everything I did. He had a way of making me feel small and insignificant next to him. "Maybe, a little impulsive and careless."