14 | Alpha

"Your cousin owns this place?" I questioned as I scooted to the edge of the seat and jumped out of the truck, landing on my feet

"Your cousin owns this place?" I questioned as I scooted to the edge of the seat and jumped out of the truck, landing on my feet. The building was probably as much of an antique as the things that were sold inside. It stood out on the main street, amongst the newer and more modern designs of buildings and storefronts. Paige had mentioned several weeks ago that the reason my house even remained was because Cal's cousin had petitioned for it and its historical value.

I closed the door as Cal rounded the tailgate, catching my gaze, "Tamara has always had a love for old things. Come on." He nodded his head, meaning for me to follow him as he stepped up onto the sidewalk toward the front door. I gave a glance over my shoulder as an uneasy feeling crept up my spine. It felt like someone was watching me, watching us. I narrowed my eyes as I scanned the street, a couple of people wandering the sidewalk.

"Lucinda." Cal called my name. I turned toward him, disregarding the odd feeling as my own paranoia. I quickly crossed the distance to the front door as he opened it for me. I gave him a passing glance as walked into the store the musky smell of old items tickling my nose. Most of the items in the front of the store were old furniture items, a couch, a set of wings backed chairs, and an old writing with a roll up top. It reminded me of a desk I remember my aunt using, though she kept it under lock and key, as if the old prude had any secrets worth knowing.

There was a rush of air as the door closed behind Callum as he stepped in behind me. I did my best to ignore the heat of his body sinking into mine. He moved around me, "Mara? You in the back?"

There was a raspy grunt in response as tuff of blonde hair poked up behind a counter near the back, followed by a hand, "Be right with you Cal." He gave me a glance over his shoulder, nodding his head for me to follow as moved through the walkway. I walked behind him hesitantly, wondering what exactly it was that he wanted to talk about with his Cousin.

A beautiful blonde, with familiar eyes rose up from behind the counter. She was wearing a pair of denim overalls, hair braided into pig tails. Honestly, she reminded me of a some kind of seventies farm girl. She gave a friendly smile as her gaze shifted between the two of us, "You made a new friend, I see. That's good, Roxanne was telling me how worried she was about you living like a hermit on that mountain."

Cal let out a grunt, "Roxie is a silly teenage girl."

"To that I can agree. Do you know what your niece has been doin' lately? Runnin' round with her friends, skipping school, and starting issues with the Vanderville girl. You got to speak to her Cal. She won't listen to me anymore...you're the one with the..." Tamara remarked as she wiped her hands down the front of her overalls, gaze skittering to me for a moment before moving back to Cal, "Well you're the only one she listens to these days."

"I'll talk to her..."

"You better, or I'll be sending her to live with you. Then she'll never have to worry about you being alone again."