03 | Town

The air was heavy with the scent of cigars and hazy from the smoke

The air was heavy with the scent of cigars and hazy from the smoke. When I came around the corner of the entry hallway I found the medium sized space to be more crowded than I had anticipated it to be. Either these people enjoyed day drinking more than they should or like Jet they really loved their red meat. Speaking of Jet, it wasn't hard for me to find him. Beyond the fact that my eyes gravitated to him on their own accord. The small crowd had seemed to have created a pathway for him and I wasn't sure whether that was a conscious or unconscious effort on their part.

I made my way through the opening they had created, taking note of the curious glances sent in my direction. Jet was leaning against the bar counter talking to the female working behind it. He glanced over his shoulder at me as if he had sensed me coming up behind him. My pulse quickened as I drew closer to him, it felt like there was an magnetic force pulling me toward him. His eyes drifted down the length of me before he turned away.

I sucked in a breath as I fell into the empty space on his left. The female gave me a wary glance as if she wasn't accustomed to new faces. Jet shifted beside me, angling his body away from me,"Paige this is Lucinda. She's the one that bought the house by the lake." The way he regaled the information to her seemed like there was another message being conveyed in the under current.

I noticed the way dark her eyes sparked with a knowing look as she held his gaze before turning her face in my direction again. She tossed me a friendly smile this time that didn't quite reach her eyes as she threw her drying towel over her shoulder.

"I'm surprised that someone was actually willing to buy that run down place. It's older than half the buildings and people in this town. The Mayor wanted it torn down but Cal's cousin got enough people to sign a petition about it's historical value to the town or whatever. Obviously it kept the thing standing because here you are." She reached out for wet glass as she shook her head, smiling to herself as if the whole thing were a joke, and clearly I had missed the punchline.

Jet pushed away from the counter, "I'll be back." I watched as he wandered away from us. People moved out of his way like they were going to catch some kind of disease if he so happened to accidentally brush up against them. It was the oddest thing I had seen, so far everyone had seemed nice enough.

"Don't mind, Cal. He talks to everyone like that. He not as bad as seems." Paige commented as I turned my gaze back to her. She was drying off the glassware. I was confused about who she was referring to. I looked around me to the people at the bar, "Cal, who?"

Paige lifted a brow as if I was complete moron, "Cal..." She nodded her head in direction Jet had walked. I turned with a furrowed brow expecting to find the person in question. There wasn't anyone sitting on that side of the bar. The only person I saw was Jet as he wandered back through the kitchen door, completely ignoring the employee only sign hanging on the door.

I felt a wave of annoyance as I realized that was who she was talking about, "He told me his name was Jet."

Paige clicked her tongue off the roof of her mouth, "Jet? What a ridiculous nickname..." She shook her head at the concept as if it was the most ridiculous thing she had heard. She lifted her eyes to meet my gaze as she set down the glass she had been working over, "Sweetheart, it's best someone tell you who you're associating yourself  with. That there is Callum Jethro Wolfe."