"Ok. Assuming I can find the car, then what?"

"There are seven airports in the area he can use. I need to know what direction the car is headed to be sure which one he is using."

"Who is he?"

"Never mind that now. I have sent you a list of the airports. I am heading to Smiths Airfield twenty miles north of here. Call the FAA and see if a flight plan has been filed from there heading to Mexico. It would be a small private jet."

"Mexico? What the hell are you talking about?"

"I believe the Gonzales crime family has contracted to have Rita brought to them."

"Oh shit."

"We do not have much time. Can you do this?"

"Yeah, sure. I'm on it. Why not call the towers of all the airports?"

"He would only use airports with no staffed towers and very specific runways. I am headed to Smiths because it is the one I would use. Call me if you find out anything. I sent my number." Ollie disconnected.

"Shit," Joe said. "Who is this guy? And who has Rita? Damn." He dialed Frank.

"Frank. You still at central?"

"Yeah, sure why?"

"I need you to drop everything and..."

<><><><><><><><><><>

Rita sat in the back with Ollie. The car was headed north on route eighty-one. She kept looking at Ollie. Everything was the same, but different somehow. Was his hair a little longer? It was the same silver/white but cut different? Stop being an idiot, she thought.

"Everything alright, my dear."

Rita lied. "Yes. I am wondering when you are going to tell me where we're going, that's all."

"Soon. Do you know the migration route of the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird?"

"No, why?" Rita said.

"As it turns out, we are going to take the same route. Won't that be lovely?"

"I guess so. You're acting strange."

"I am? I'm sorry. I guess I'm just excited. It's not every day I can take off with my girlfriend."

"Oh, is that what I am? Your girlfriend?"

Ollie laughed. "It sounds cheesy when you say it. I only want to hold you and feel your pulse while I can. Life can be so very short."

Rita turned and stared out the window. What's that supposed to mean? What the hell is wrong with him?

When she looked back, Ollie was facing straight ahead and had a smile on his face. It wasn't the soft smile he so often used around her. It wasn't even the cat ate the prized bird smile. It appeared he was savoring a thought. Something only he knew and didn't want to share.

The car turned into a small airstrip. The sign read "Smiths Airfield Alt eight-eight-five feet."

"Why are we here?" Rita asked.

"To catch a flight, of course."

After Ollie got out, Rita shrugged and got out of the car. There were a few single-engine planes, and one twin-engine but all seemed to be tied down.

"Do you fly?" Rita asked.

"Yes I do, but I won't be flying today. We are waiting for the plane. It should be here soon." Ollie looked at his watch.