Chapter 11 - Sycamore Valley Ranch

Looking across the table at Michael, Eva felt a pang of excitement and wonder. Why had he brought her to Ballato's again? What was the special occasion?

"Eva...." Michael started, looking a little nervous yet hopeful. "I know we haven't known each other that long but....I......I've fallen in love with you." he declared.

Eva couldn't quite believe her ears. Before she could speak, Michael stood up and walked the short distance to where she sat and hastily bent down on one knee.

Eva's eyes widened. What was he doing?

"Eva?" he said, pulling a small box from within his suit pocket and opening the lid slowly. "Will you marry me?"

Eva inhaled sharply and flung her hands to her mouth.

Inside the box was a beautiful diamond ring....glistening under the dim lighting of the restaurant. Michael still holding it and gazing up at her with those chocolate brown eyes.

"Oh my god!! Yes! YES!" she almost yelled.

Michael's eyes lit up and he beamed with happiness, whilst he slipped the ring on her slender finger. It fit perfectly.

Eva and Michael stood up at the same time and wrapped their arms around each other in a tight embrace.

"You've made me the happiest man alive!" Michael whispered into her neck.

Eva felt like the luckiest woman in the world, as they shared a deep kiss.....

"Eva!"

Who was calling her name at this inappropriate time? Couldn't they see she was busy?!

"Eva?!" the loud voice came again.

Eva held onto Michael tightly as the kiss deepened.

"EVA!" the voice came again, this time waking her from her vivid dream.

"Huh, what?!!" she muttered, sitting bolt upright in her bed, feeling disorientated.

Squinting through her lazy eyelids, she saw Jed stood next to her bed, looking both embarrassed and surprised.

"Oh Eva, I'm so sorry to come into your room like this and wake you!" he apologised, looking ashamed of himself. "I did knock for a good 5 minutes and call your name really loud, but you were dead to the world!" he added, justifying his actions.

"Oh Jed, not to worry!" she replied reassuringly, reaching up and placing a comforting hand on his arm. "I do tend to sleep really deep when I've been drinking!" she explained, rubbing her tired eyes.

"Oh I see." he chuckled. "Anyway, I just wanted to come and tell you that I've had a special breakfast prepared for you all outside before you set off for the day!"

Eva was taken aback, but smiled warmly. "Oh bless you Jed, that's so kind of you!"

Jed's cheeks flushed slightly. "Oh it's the most I can do, last night was wonderful! The most fun this place has seen in years! I'll leave you to get ready and do whaever you do! See you downstairs." he beamed before heading out of the room again.

What a sweet man. And what a sweet dream she'd just had. It had felt so real!

Grinning to herself, Eva stretched her arms, got out of bed and began to get ready.

************

Michael was one of the first to be sat at the long table that had been arranged out back in the shade from the blazing sun. It was only 8am and the heat was already making itself known.