Chapter 1 - The Best Friends

Age 5
The first day of kindergarten is always tough for the kids, not getting to see their mothers all day like they are used to. Y/N on the other hand, could not be more ecstatic. She was finally able to make friends that weren't forced upon her, she would be able to show them her rock collection! Her mom always told her to just be herself, no matter what anyone says or does. She tightly held onto her favorite book, with pictures of all types of flowers, in her little chubby hand with her mother's hand in her other. She wanted to make the most of this day, her mom was finally letting her out of the house. Keeping her head up and looking around in amazement in the classroom, color was everywhere your eyes could reach. Y/N let out a gasp when seeing a butterfly poster, and took a step closer getting a better look at the details of the wings.

"Y/N, come meet your teacher!" Her mom said, pulling her towards a women with blonde hair.

The women bends down to Y/N's eye level with a pretty smile adorning her face. "Hi, Y/N! I've heard so much about you from your mom, I can't wait to spend the year with you in here. My name is Mrs. Hargrove" she said, in a cheery tone. Y/N wanted to press face into her mom's side to hide herself, but decided against it. Instead, she smiled wide and faced the book she was holding to her teacher.

"You're a fan of nature, huh? Well lucky for you, we are surrounded by that!" Mrs. Hargrove said, still as cheery as ever. "Here, why don't you go sit with my son? His name is, Billy"

Y/N slowly let go of her mother's hand and walked her way to where the teacher was guiding her. The boy had messy long hair that kept covering his eyes, no matter how many times he tried to fix it. He looked happy, and that made you happy.

" Billy, this is Y/N. Why don't you guys sit with each other for the day?" Mrs. Hargrove said to the now smiling boy. He nodded his head vigorously and dimples came into view. You poked it with a small 'boop' sounding out of your mouth. You looked at him curiously and he just looked back at you with a smile as bright as the sun.

"Wanna be best friends? I can teach you to surf?" He said to you, not minding that you looked different than the other kids entering the room. He analyzed your flower crown slowly falling off your head and lifted his hand to move it back to the top. You nodded in response to his question, lifting your book still in your hand so he can get a better look at it.

You flipped to a page that was bookmarked and pointed at the image of a sunflower. "Sunflowers are my favorite!" You said to him, your eyes as shining brightly.

"Those are so pretty! Do you have any other favorites?" He asked you, tilting his head to the side. He smiled when he saw how excited you got, something about your smile was infectious and he couldn't help it from growing as you continued to talk.

~

Age 8

You sat on the grass during recess, reading a book about the universe when someone abruptly shoved it out of your hands and stomped on it with a snicker rolling out of their mouth. "Freak!" He said, before taking your flower crown and snapping it in half and jogging away. Your lip trembled as you tried not to burst into tears, 'not here, you can't do this here' you said to yourself because you knew what would happen if you started to cry. Your mother hated when you had a tantrum, it would cause the whole house to shake and erupt in chaos. She would be so mad if she heard that you had cried from Mrs. Hargrove, who she had initially asked to keep an eye on you.

You heard quick footsteps coming your way but you didn't lift your head to see who it was. Instead you fiddled with the hem of your skirt that your mother made for you. "Y/N, are you okay?" Billy's worried voice filled your ears and you finally looked up to him and he looked as though he was going to cry as well. You shook your head no and the first tear fell. A flock of birds all scurried away into the wind due to the wind starting to push by.