🌹 Chapter II

"Hey, Via," Groff says quickly. I look up from my book and he sighs. "We need to go to court next Wednesday. To finalize your adoption?"

"Oh. Already?" I ask.

"Yeah. So, umm, dress nice. And best behavior."

"Whatever. Thanks for telling me," I mutter, looking back down at my book.

"I'll be upstairs if you need anything, I guess."

•••Wednesday•••

I finish buttoning up my shirt, looking at myself in the mirror. I smooth out my pant legs and decide I look good enough. I walk down to the kitchen to make my coffee, and Beth slowly shuffles over to me, hugging me.

"I'm tired," she mumbles. I roll my eyes, kissing the top of her head.

"You alright, Groff?" I ask. He's standing by the counter, staring at the wall while he tightly holds his coffee cup. I notice his knuckles turning white. "Groff?"

"What?" he asks, snapping out of his trance. Beth walks to the living room, and I hear her collapse on the couch. "Oh. I'm fine. How are you?"

"Not as bad as you, obviously," I mutter. I walk to the cabinet and grab a bagel. "You need to chill."

"I know. But it's so exciting! And terrifying, I guess."

"Why? Do you really think that you won't be allowed to adopt me?"

"No, I just- I'm worried about you."

"Why?"

"There's a chance that, uhh, they might send you to therapy."

"Why?"

"Well, not to be harsh, but... you have issues."

"Thanks a lot," I grumble, taking a bite of my bagel.

"I'm only telling you so you don't freak out when they say something."

"I'm healthy, Groff."

"And I'm happy for you. But that doesn't mean you won't need therapy. You have your, what is it? PTSD thing."

"C-PTSD."

"Yeah, that. And you have years of abuse in your past."

"So?"

"So, there are several reasons for them to send you to therapy. Please, for the love of God, just say yes and move on."

"Whatever." I walk out of the kitchen, sitting on the couch with Beth. She smiles and kisses my cheek. "Good morning, beautiful."

"Morning."

•••11:00 AM•••

Beth and I follow Groff up the stairs to the courthouse, and my chest tightens. My heart starts beating faster, and everything starts to get fuzzy. Beth grabs my hand, and I tightly squeeze hers.

"Ow," she whispers. I slightly relax my grip, but continue squeezing her hand until the world comes back into focus. Groff turns back to look at me and I nod. We walk inside and I sit with Beth while Groff talks to the secretary. Groff finishes talking and sits on my other side, patting my arm.

"You alright?" he whispers.

"Yeah. It's just... this is the first time that I've really felt like I have a family that wants me."

"Jonathan Groff," the secretary calls. We all stand up and walk back to the courtroom. Beth sits on the bench behind me, and I sit next to Groff. I stare at the table as the judge reviews the paperwork.