🌹 Chapter LXVIII

<Via's POV>

I throw my jacket on, watching Beth twirl around the bedroom. Her blue dress looks amazing on her. She throws herself into my arms, making me stumble.

"Jesus, Beth," I laugh. I lift her up, planting a kiss on her lips. "Shall we?"

"Of course, dear sir," she giggles. She takes my hand and drags me downstairs.

"Where are you going?" Grace mutters from the couch.

"We're going out for dinner. We'll be back around eight. Your homework's done?"

"Yeah."

"Have fun." Beth smiles at her before quickly following me out to the car. I pull out of the driveway, driving to the restaurant.

"Reservation for Groff," I tell the hostess. She leads us to our table, all the way in the corner. Beth sits down, grinning excitedly. The hostess hands menus to us and walks away.

"I'm worried about Grace," Beth sighs.

"Why? She's a teenager, she'll be fine."

"Yeah, but she's, you know, a little on the wild side."

"She'll be fine. If something happens, we'll handle it." Beth nods, continuing to look through her menu. She orders a pasta and I get a chicken sandwich. "I can't believe it's been five years since we got married."

"I wouldn't take any of it back," Beth sighs, leaning on her hand. She reaches across the table, grabbing my hand. "I love you."

"I love you, too." I kiss her hand, smiling.

•••

We get home and find Grace sitting on the couch, a bottle of wine in her hand.

"Oh, you're home," she sneers. She takes a drink, spilling some on her shirt. Beth starts to step forward, but I pull her back.

"You should get ready for bed," I whisper, kissing her forehead.

"Mkay. Don't stay up too late." She walks upstairs and I go to the kitchen to grab a wine glass. I sit in the chair, Grace watching me the whole time.

"Care to share?" I ask, holding out the glass. Grace huffs, but pours a small bit of liquid into my glass. "Thanks. Something happen?"

"Just feel like being drunk," she mumbles.

"That's not exactly normal, Grace."

"Oh, just get over it," she snaps. "Do you think I wanted you to adopt me? Do you think I want you in my personal life?"

"I think you've had too much wine, Grace." She rolls her eyes, taking a large gulp of the alcohol. I haven't touched mine. "Now, I know you don't like us. I just want to know why."

"Because you're fags," she snarls. I raise my eyebrows at her. "And because I know you pity me for being a foster kid."

"Oh, please. If you think I pity you, you're wrong."

"Then what do you think of me?"

"I think you've got an attitude problem, and you think you can get away with anything because you have in the past. Does that sound about right?" Grace quickly looks away. "And I don't think you should have a partner who serves alcohol underage. And I definitely don't think you should be dating someone who makes you get detentions because you want to be with them."

Grace is silent, staring at the black TV. I take a sip of the wine, pausing. Grape juice. Clever.

"You know, I can see the definitely see why you drink this," I say. Grace blushes, setting the bottle on the table. "Now, why don't you tell me what's really going on?"

"Sorry for being a shitty foster kid," she whispers. "And for being homophobic."

"Apology accepted."

"Via, I don't know what's happening to me. I--" Grace bursts into tears, burying her face in a pillow. I slide over to the couch, rubbing her back. "There's so much you don't know about me. This isn't who I am."

"Breathe." She gasps for air, sniffling and whimpering. Her breathing finally evens out and she relaxes her grip on the pillow. "What's wrong?"

"I just... I feel bad about acting like someone I'm not. Like, I've never really been a bitch, but then I started dating my boyfriend, and I started, just... I don't know. You know?"

"You're acting like someone you're not so you can fit in with your boyfriend."

"Exactly! Like, I- I don't go to parties. I have horrible social anxiety. And I don't know why I decided to have a super active sex life to seem cool." Grace pauses. "I wasn't supposed to say that."

"You need protection?" I ask. She looks at me, her eyes watery.

"No. I- I don't want to be that person anymore. But, I hate, like, the kissing and hand-holding, and it's all just, like, ew. But I don't mind, well, sex."

"You could be aromantic."

"What's that?"

"You don't like the romantic side of relationships. I don't know a lot about it, so I can't really explain it. But I'll try to help you as much as I can."

"Y- Yeah. I think I'll try that," she mumbles, wiping her nose. "You know, I'm actually really into art. Like, I draw all the time, I just never told you because I was being a bitch."

"Well, you don't have to be a bitch anymore. Unless you really want to, of course."

"Thank you, Via."

"For?"

"The reality check."

"Well, thank you for accepting it. Now, go to bed, will you? Or Beth will be mad at both of us." Grace giggles, sniffing loudly. "You good?"

"Mhmm. I just need a minute."

"Thanks for the drink, by the way." She flips me off and I smirk, finishing off the rest of my glass. "Go to bed soon."

I take the glass and the bottle to the kitchen, sighing heavily. Who knew teenagers were this exhausting? I walk back to the living room and see Grace curling up on the couch.

"Can't make it upstairs to your bed?" I joke. She shakes her head, yawning. "I'll carry you."

"I'd like to see you try." I walk over, easily hoisting her over my shoulder. She squawks, grabbing at my shirt. "Okay, okay! Put me down!"

"Will you go upstairs?"

"Yes!" I set her down and she grins at me, running upstairs. I walk upstairs and into our bedroom. I strip from everything except my boxers and get in bed with Beth. She rolls over, kissing me.

"How'd it go?" she whispers.

"She's coming around. She just needs to figure out who she is."

"Hmm." Beth gives me another kiss. "Good night, Via."