Chapter 81 We took the long way home

Start from the beginning

Sasuke nodded. He had already thought about that. “I might go after Suigetsu. He is still at large.”

“You’d bring him to justice? He was your comrade once, wasn’t he?”

“We only used each other’s abilities. He’s unstable. There’s no telling what he’ll do.”

“And the Seven Swords? What to you plan on doing with them?”

Sasuke smirked. “I’ll find some use for them.”

***

“When can I go to the Academy?” Ichiru swung his legs back and forth.

“Next year,” Taryn told him, “then you’ll be old enough.”

“But that’s still so long.”

Taryn smiled. “It will be over before you know it.”

Ichiru sighed. It had been so cool to visit the Academy and watch the class his uncle had given. Even if he was still uncomfortable around his uncle, he desperately wanted to become as good. “I’m gonna practice shuriken in the garden,” he announced and he dashed out the door.

Taryn laughed softly. “Be careful!”  she shook her head amused. Last time he had ‘practiced’ he had decapitated a few of her roses.
She opened the closet down the hall to gather a few objects. She had promised Daro she would help him with the training of his student tomorrow to prepare the for the Chuunin Exams, four months from now. He did a good job at training them himself, but he had asked for her advise. Perhaps she would see something he had failed to notice, in order to improve their flaws.

A shadow appeared in the doorway and Taryn looked up.

Sasuke was silently watching her, not moving.

Taryn stared at him confused. She wondered what was on his mind.

And then she knew.

“You’re leaving,” she said softly.

He walked up to her, still silent.

“You are, aren’t you?” she stated. Worry marred her face.

“I need to move on,” he said.

“Why?” she asked quietly, “is this because Ichiru…”

He cut her off by taking a step closer and kissing her cheek. “Thank you,” he said, taking her by surprise.

A slow smirk appeared on her face. “What do you know,” she said, “the only girl ever kissed by Sasuke Uchiha. I feel honored.”

Sasuke snorted and rolled his eyes. “Idiot.”