Chapter 1: The Funeral

Kousei's POV

The sky was dull, grey and it was snowing. The people around me were dressed in black and so was I. Her mother cried badly on her father's shoulder and Tsubaki on Watari's. Who knew such a wonderful person as her would die so young? She was my first love and the one who brought colours into my monotone life which was now back in the same way as it was before.

I watched her coffin being placed slowly into the ground and I couldn't bear to watch it. Watari placed a hand on my shoulder, trying to comfort me, as a tear slided down his face. I could feel the tears running down my face like a waterfall and everything became blurry because of it.

Kaori, I'm sorry.

I ran away from the funeral, unable to control my tears. I don't know what made me do that it was like my legs had a life of its own but I went along with it. I opened the door to my house and ran upstairs and into my room.

I just stood there, frozen, until my feet gave away and I fell to my feet and bowed my head down, as I cried my heart out.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

I cried for a hours on end and I heard the doorbell ringing, but I ignored it completely. I knew who it was but I didn't bother opening the door. But the doorbell rang continuously over and over again. I stood up as my blood boiled in anger for the interruption.

"SHUT UP!!!" I shouted at the top of my lungs, pushing down my whole study table. All my books, mangas, stationaries and the photo frame with a photo of my family, were all scattered on the floor. I pulled my hair in rage and I rushed downstairs, not minding the books I've stepped on.

I opened the front door by force. "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT?!!" I shouted, which made me regret it a second later.

It was her parents. Their swollen and baggy eyes were wide as they looked at the horrible condition I was in and the way I shouted at them.

"I'm so sorry," I said, meekly.

"It's alright," her father said in a dull voice. "We just came by to give you this." Her mother handed out a letter with her shivering hands and I just looked at it. I hesitated to take it at first but I took it. I bowed at them and slammed the door shut. I didn't even glance at the letter and I tore it to half. My lips started to quiver and tear started forming all over again. I tore the letter again and again and again and again till it was nothing but shreads.

I dropped the shreads to the floor and moved it aside with my foot. I didn't need anyone condolences or charity.
I don't want anything. I don't want anyone. I don't want anybody.

Except Kaori...