Chapter 20 - "Everything is going to be okay."

20

“Everything is going to be okay.”

About 2 hours later of picking at my nails and checking the clock, a doctor finally emerged from one of the double doors. “Is there a Gemma Styles here?”

“Yes.” Gemma jumped out her seat and Will and I were quick to follow. We stood by her as the doctor looked from her to his clipboard, then back up to us.

“Has Harry recently been exposed to any bright lights?”

“Umm… No. I don’t think so.” Gemma trails off, confusion etched in her features.

“Even though Harry is blind, bright lights can still irritate his eyes, if not more. That could be one of the causes of his headaches. But I assure you he does not have any new tumors or any signs of new tumor growth.”

“Oh thank god.” Will sighs. I want to say something but frankly I feel like it is better if I just stay silent for now.

“We are still not exactly sure what is causing his headaches, so we are putting him on some narcotics until we can find out more. He will have to be given Codeine once a day for the first week and the second week I suggested you have him on some form of Tylenol. He should stay off his feet for the first couple of days, so we are sending him home with a wheelchair. I strongly suggest he take a little time off work, preferably 2 weeks or so.”

“Okay.” Gemma nods. “Can we see him?”

“You may. He is still out due to all the pain medication, but you are more than welcome to go see him.”

“Thank you.” Gemma shakes his hand, and Will does the same, so I follow their leads taking the Doctors hand in my own.

“Oh and one more thing Miss Styles,” We all turn to look at him. “When he wakes up he might be a little confused maybe even a little angry, even though he won’t quite understand why. That is a completely normal side effect from the drugs and it usually wears off within a few minutes.”

“Thank you Doctor.”

I had scooted a chair up next to Harry’s bedside while he slept. It has been a good hour or so since we had talked with the doctor and now it was just the waiting game. I watched his chest rise and fall under the thin hospital blanket and listened to his heart monitor beep in the background. It was the most reassuring sound I have ever heard and I didn’t even care that it was slightly annoying, it meant he was here.

“Did you tell your parents?” Will looked over to Gemma who was sitting across from him on the couch.

“Yeah. They should be here soon- shit!”

“What?” Will asked.

“We are leaving tomorrow for your mother’s house.”

“Yeah so, what’s the big deal- oh shit!”

“Yeah Harry can’t be left alone.”

“What about your parents?”

“He has to stay close to the hospital. Just in case something else happened. Mum and Dad live hours away.”

“He can stay with me.” I lift my chin off my arms and turn into their conversation.

“Really, are you positive?” Gemma asks.

“Of course.” I let out a small yawn.

“Not to make you feel small by any means Ava but, you are pretty small.” Will lightly chuckles and I cock my head. What does my height and size have to do with anything? “Well, I mean Harry is a big guy. He’s very tall, and heavier than you think.” I raise an eyebrow in confusion. “And he’s going to be in a wheelchair for the first couple days, doped up on medicine. He might need help going to the bathroom and taking a shower and what not.”

I swallowed hard. It’s true, I can’t lift Harry, but I won’t be alone. “My brother Joseph was actually planning on staying over at my house this week. He’d be happy to help. And my family is coming to visit as well so if anything happened I’d have plenty of help.”

“Perfect.” Gemma smiles. It’s a tired smile, but it is still a smile. A smile that reads, “My brother is okay. And he is going to be okay. Everything is going to be okay.”