Chapter 19 - Tests

19

Tests

“It’s Harry.”

The sound of her wavering voice rang through my ears. I couldn’t tell if my phone was shaking on its own or my hand was doing the shaking but I tried not to focus on my nerves, instead trying to focus on the word vomit pouring out of Gemma’s mouth. “Please, please get down here!” Panic was clear in her tone.

“Where?” I choked out.

“We are at St. George’s Hospital on the fifth floor.”

God no.

“Okay.” My voice was small and I don’t even know if Gemma heard me but I hung up before I could find out.

Before, I never understood how people were able to just drop everything for someone like nothing else in the world mattered except for that one person. Now, I understand. I couldn’t tell you how fast I got ready because in that moment, while my body was racing around my flat, my mind was frozen. Frozen on Harry. I jumped into my car with damp hair and sockless. As I raced to the hospital I couldn’t help but look to the clear blue sky in disgust. This was not the time for the sun to shine down on happy faces. When something happens to him the world should stop. He is that special.

I didn’t even bother locking my car when I ditched it in the parking lot sprinting inside the hospital. I made it to the elevator, vigorously clicking the button with the number ‘5’ next to it. I thanked god the doors didn’t stop on any other floor once they opened to my destination. I quickly rounded the corner finding myself at the reception desk.

“Please,” I began heaving in a sharp breath. “I’m here to see a patient who just came in today, he’s on this level, he-”

“Name?” The nurse sat there behind the computer screen typing away. She didn’t even look at me.

“Harry Styles.”

“Full name?” She looked up with annoyance in her eyes.

Seriously? How many fucking Harry Styles’ do you know? I mentally cursed Harry for having such a long ass name. “Harry Simon Edward Xavier Styles.” I spit out. She looked up at me this time as if I were insane, and then checked the computer. “Take a left down this hall right here, he’s the sixth door down. Room 36 E.”

“Thank you.” I say before bolting down the hallway.

“And no running!” She called behind me. But I didn’t care, she was a bitch and instead of slowing down I flipped her off.

Once I found his room I reached for the handle but was stopped by an unfamiliar voice. “Excuse me, visiting hours are after lunch,” A young male nurse holding a clipboard walked up to me. “Unless you are family. Are you family?”