Chapter 19

Lucy woke up late, groggy from the lack of sleep. She glanced about her room with some confusion. Was she supposed to have woken up here or should it have been at college? What day was it anyway? Did she have work or studies that day? Staring at Jace's peacefully slumbering profile offered her no resolution. After lying there staring into space for a moment, it all came back to her. Sadiq was after Cat—still.

Lucy stifled a groan of dismay and hurriedly rose to her feet. She had to head to the office that day, but not to work as would be expected, but to hurry Barry along. Lucy reached for her phone, needing to go fill Knyte in and bring him up to speed on things. Eyeing Jace still lost in sleep, she tiptoed out of the room, down the stairs and towards the kitchen. She spied her mum already baking up a storm in there, clearly needing her own outlet to vent on what was happening. Lucy detoured and headed straight out. The call to her father was short, but it gave her the reassurance she needed. It was all go from his end. That meant Lucy had one more stop to make before she went on to see Barry. With that plan in mind, Lucy was hurrying upstairs to wake Jace up and then get ready.

In a little under an hour, they were on the road.

"I have coursework all day today," said Jace. "But I can meet you there at Davey's office."

"I just need to fetch my car first," said Lucy. Leaving Woggy at the residential college yesterday had been a mistake, one that had poor Jace going out of his way. "Sorry to put you out."

"You can put me anywhere, Luce." He turned to offer her a heart-stoppingly slow grin. Lucy happily melted in his bright baby blues, forgetting the woes of the world for all of the few moments he spared her before his gaze was back on the road ahead.

"Em Jace...," Lucy trailed off uncertainly. She wanted to fill him in on the plan, but was hesitant to say anything that might upset him. She still needed his father's go-ahead before her plan was even a thing. With Knyte confirming things on his end, that left only Daniel Neil to get on board. The security Knyte arranged to keep an eye on Cat was already there, discreetly keeping an eye on the Little house from a distance. Lucy had no fears Sadiq may try something underhanded before the meeting. The police arranged by Davey were also parked right outside.

Perhaps bringing Jace along with her for that meeting will help smooth things over with his father. But all of Lucy's instincts were telling her she would do better to see him on her own.

The arrived at the college and Woggy was the only car left in the car park. But it was not Woggy who held her attention. The sizzle of awareness of just being in a car with Jace had her salivating for more. Jace slid his car into a slot and threw it into park. Then Lucy attacked. Unwilling to waste a moment in his company, just in case things with Sadiq went sour at the meeting and they were all forced to go on the run. A situation she could not even fathom happening, but that didn't stop her hunger for Jace. Unsnapping her seatbelt, she clambered over to straddle him, sliding her hands into his soft hair and drawing his lips up to hers. The met and clung greedily. Each drinking from the other as if parched for more. Jace slid his hands low about her hips, pressing her down and rocking her against him. They broke apart a moment later, overwhelmed by the sensations coursing through them. They sat there staring at each other with undeniable longing. Then Jace reached out for the latch to his door and clicked it open. The cool air seeped in, wiping away the heat of lust, and with a reluctance she couldn't quite hide, Lucy clambered off him.

Jace lifted her bag and handed it over to her, his grin wickedly knowing, and it was all Lucy could do not to slug him with it. Temper flared, Lucy turned heels in a huff and strutted off to her car, ignoring Jace's incorrigible wolf-whistle behind her. She was grinning by the time she sat herself in Woggy.