Chapter 18

The harsh sounds of words said in anger could be heard reverberating through the closed door. As one, the three of them glanced to it in horror and just then it opened and Jace crept back in to silently close it behind him. Lucy glanced up at him enquiringly. His clear blue eyes sparkled with intent.

"They will be coming up soon," said Jace with a quiet determination that sent a fissure of fear down her spine.

"We've got to hide Cat!" She whispered in a hushed tone.

"You can take my car. It's parked over the curve and out of sight. Leave through the window. I can lower you down part way, but you'll have to leap the rest of the distance."

"What? No! She is pregnant!" Lucy exclaimed her tone not so hushed now. She was the athletic one, not Cat.

"I'll be fine. It's not such a great distance. I'll do it," Cat agreed willingly.

"This is insane," hissed Em.

Lucy could only shake her head despairingly. This did not bode well. But she went forward to lend a hand. Cat with a twisted ankle she could handle, but not a Cat abducted to another corner of the world by an arrogant prince. Cat sat on the open window ledge and gingerly lowered her feet onto the other side. The drop looked overly high from this point, but Lucy knew it wasn't. The house was, after all, built into a slope. Her window overlooked the rise and the distance down was not as substantial as with any ordinary two storey house.

But still. Lucy exchanged a look with a fearful-looking Em and then they both looked at Cat and saw her take a deep breath. "You don't have to do this. There will be another way," Lucy said urgently. But the sounds of commotions downstairs had gotten stronger. Blaise needed backup, and soon. Jace's expression clearly said so. They could not delay here.

But her lips thinned determinedly. "I am not going back...to that...that.. caveman!" She breathed out rapidly. Lucy turned to stare at Cat with some surprise. Cat was not bashful when it came to trading insults. Caveman was relatively placid as far as insults go. Just what did Cat feel towards Sadiq?

Lucy took her hand and Jace took the other. The two of them knelt beside her and exchanged a silent countdown... one... two and then they were doing it. Gripping tightly, they slowly eased her down as far as they could get and then some, before they simultaneously let go.

Lucy held her breath but should have known better. Cat was like her namesake. Not only had she developed some hidden claws over recent events, but she also managed to land on her feet. Lucy watched on with sisterly pride as Cat straightened and took off into the trees without hesitation.

Relieved to have her away and out of Sadiq's clutches, Lucy exchanged a happy grin with Jace before they both turned towards the door with narrow-eyed interest.

"You hide in my closet Em," said Lucy.

"No," said Em instantly. "I'm going down with you."

Lucy didn't linger to argue but followed Jace's swift sure strides down to greet their unwanted visitors below.

Sadiq stood there, dressed not in jeans or a suit and tie but in black military fatigues. The effect was quite startling, and Lucy took an involuntary step back. She eyed Blaise with some concern as he stood caught between two armed men, but standing tall over one prone figure. He had managed to take one down. Lucy's gaze dropped to the unconscious man between them.

Sadiq's malevolent gaze swept over them, not even pausing on Emily as he summed them up. So much for her idea in trying to pass herself off as Cat.

"Where is she?" Sadiq's usual cultured tones were heavily accented. "Where's my wife?" The rage in his forest greens was evident to all. The guns he and his friends toted said he was willing to go to all extremes. But Cat was Lucy's sister first.