Chapter 13

Lucy returned to a silent house. There was no sign of anyone there. She went around calling out, "Mum? Dad?" But she was greeted by continued silence.

Where was everyone? Stamping her foot in frustration, Lucy pulled out her phone that had been left on silent. Missed calls and messages flooded her screen.

Her heartbeat thudded sluggishly as panic set in. Expecting the worst, she dialled her dad's number first and found the that it was out of reach. Panic levels blasted to full throttle. Lucy accessed her messages and started to scroll through them one by one. She was aghast by what she read. Blood drained from her head and Lucy felt woozy. The lunch she struggled to eat earlier threatened to come right back up.

Her parents had flown down to the Middle East!

Sadiq had arrived with a lawyer in tow, demanding custody of his unborn child. Given the level of his clout, the Emir's diplomatic immunity, and the thugs he clearly brought along with him there had been not much her dad could do to prevent them from taking Cat. It appeared that in the eyes of their laws they were already a married couple. For to consider otherwise was to claim that the Emir had sinned. Their laws weren't that bold to make that kind of an accusation and live through the backlash. Sadiq would no doubt bring down any who oppose him. And that was putting it mildly.

Lucy couldn't believe her mum and dad had gone after them. What could they hope to achieve in the Middle East that couldn't have been tried and triumphed over here? And where were Em and Blaise?

Lucy started to pace up and down, her thoughts revolving about like a tornado in her anxious head.

"You're going to wear out the carpet." The sardonic comment was thrown at her from the direction of the front door.

Lucy stilled and spun around.

"Blaise!" She exclaimed then threw herself into his arms. Emily standing sullenly at his side crowded in to throw her arms about them too.

"Lucy! Where were you, Lucy? We called and called," said Emily chokingly. "You didn't answer. Mum was hysterical and dad... oh Lucy, why weren't you there?"

Lucy blinked back the tears that emerged at her words. Now was not the time for recriminations. She looked up at Blaise then demanded. "What the hell happened? Tell me."

****

"You know I will do everything I can, Lucy?"

A sob escaped her as Lucy blindly nodded. But her father across the line seemed to understand. "I am here for you, luv. Whatever you need, whenever, just call me."

"O...okay, d...daddy." The childhood endearment that Lucy usually reserved for the most pressing of times when talking with Patrick Little now left her lips and she found herself calling Knyte Starr by that name—something she never thought she would do.

"Oh, baby!" The longing in Knyte's voice was clear. The distance between them was eating at him.

"It's okay da...daddy, I'm fine."

"No, you're not. But then you can't be expected to be. Look, I have a few contacts I can tap into, so I better get right to it."

"Yes. Yes, oh I'll hang up right now," said Lucy, the urgency of the matter once again upon her.

"Shh, Lucy. Hush now," murmured Knyte, sensing the panic rising in his daughter. "Calm down. Is Blaise there?" He asked suddenly, needing to make sure his son was on hand to comfort Lucy on. "Put him on."

"Blaise is here, Dad," said Lucy, suddenly calming down as she recalled another matter, one she had entirely forgotten with the news of Cat's kidnapping. "But I'd rather you not speak with him just yet Dad."