Chapter 2

"Turn the tap off, Lucy!" Blaise groaned, feeling a headache coming on. It was a horrible thing to wake up to female tears and his new-found sister seemed to have a penchant for shedding a pond full.

"You don't understand, Blaze. You don't know what it's like to grow up knowing your twin was missing. Knowing you had a brother but not knowing where he was... or even if he was still alive..."

Blaise had to lift a pointed brow at that. He may not have known what it was to lose a brother, but he had lost his whole family. Of course, he didn't exactly grow up knowing that. He only found all that out just a few months ago. So, in a way he could appreciate that Lucy's streaming tears were valid enough. Besides, having a female cry over him was a novelty he never thought he'd ever experience, or resent experiencing for that matter. Blaise frowned heavily down at his twin.

His twin.

It was only just starting to dawn on him the momentous discovery of finally meeting his sister. He stared up at her with dawning awe as Lucy Little continued to drop bucket loads of tears. His sleep had been short. Cut short by his weeping sister, but he felt strangely refreshed. Alert. Excited even. There was no explaining the strange buzzing sensation that was riding high in his chest. The pump of his heart thumping out through his chest. Adrenaline was suddenly gushing through his veins. He almost felt a little lightheaded, in fact. Was this really happening?

Or was this all some strange kind of grief-stricken hallucination. Mourning the loss of his family, the brotherhood sworn into allegiance by a blood oath. The only true kind of family he had ever known. Blaise shook his head and stared about him, disorientated. It was still dark in his room, but that was just the perpetual condition of living so deep within the network of tunnels. There was no way of knowing just what part of the day it was, day or night. The timepiece he wore only told him so much. But he was by now a pro at this, and disorientated or not, he could clearly tell it was evening. Just in time for a meal.

"Andy back yet?" He turned gingerly to ask his sister then stopped at the ease with which he was already considering her as family. Something he had never truly had and yet, he must have silently longed for if his reaction to his new-found sister was an indication.

"Andy?" Lucy looked around into the darker crevasses of the room as if Andy would materialise from it. Blaise had to shake his head at her, hoping it was just a momentary lapse on her part and that she was not truly as dim-witted as that.

"Anyone called my name?" Andy's grinning mug appeared out of the dark, causing Lucy to scream. Blaise winced.

"Where you been, man?"

"Out of the line of fire, bro. Obviously. I'll take a bullet for you, man, you know that, but tears? Tears and I don't mix. There was no way I was stepping in here to handle that bawling on my own."

"Good man," groaned Blaise.

"I'll have you know," protested Lucy pitifully. "I never cry."

Thankfully, she missed the exchange of eyerolls over that. "Wha da ya find out?" Blaise put the question out to Andy, wanting to know just how his scouting mission went.

"I found out everything in this." Andy tossed a sheet of newspaper on his lap.

Blaise reached for it and gingerly unfolded it, expecting the worst, and was not disappointed to find Lucy's face emblazoned across the front page, proving for one thing that she was indeed who she claimed to be. Lucy grabbed the paper out of his hands to squint at the fine print. Blaise shook his head at her before rising to his feet. He was fucked. They both were. With her face plastered all over the front page as the missing daughter of the famous singer who became doubly famous because of his kidnapped infant son, there was no going ahead with any of the plans he had hatching in his brain. A plan as simple as it was ingenious. Sell the daughter back to the father. It was not as if Blaise wanted her hanging around anyway. He needed the money. And his father wanted his daughter. The only spanner in his plans was what Lucy wanted. Not that it mattered one jot what she thought about anything. She dropped into his lap out of nowhere. He hadn't asked for this reunion of lost family members. He didn't want it. What he wanted was money, to finance his revenge on Danny Might. And she was going to help him get it.