Chapter 7

The arrests happened as planned. The news of it was splattered across the headlines, providing Lucy with a momentary reprieve from having been the cover story for too long. It seemed as if Blaise Starr's remarkable plan served its purpose and then some. Not only was Danny Might finally behind bars with many of his victims now coming out into the open to file in their own complaints against the man, but Lucy was no longer bound within the four walls of Knyte's mansion. The paparazzi had been called off the scent, drawn away as they were by fresh meat. And with her face no longer plastered all over the news, Lucy felt safe enough to wander beyond those walls without being swarmed by her father's fanatic fans or the vultures that hunted with their cameras. Still, they all knew the reprieve would be short-lived. So far they had managed to keep mum about Blaise's reappearance into their lives. Only the Littles knew, and the relevant authorities. Questions were still being asked and the case would never be fully closed until all was resolved, for both Blaise's and Lucy's kidnappings.

But even so, it had taken a week before Knyte deemed it safe for any of them to venture out again. Having cancelled his own appointments that week to remain closeted in the house with his kids, he arranged their first day out to the studios where his music recording was taking place, and that would later follow with their first live performance of their father singing in public that weekend. His first public appearance since Lucy's kidnapping.

Lucy knew she could make do with her own clothes from the luggage she retrieved from the cops for the visit to the studio, but she knew her father's live event demanded a new dress. So somewhere between the visit to the recording studio and her dad's live performance, a trip to the mall would become a priority.

The ride to the studio was uneventful. They were met at the door by the sound technician, Kim Helbott. The introductions were quick and then Knyte ushered them in and took them for a quick tour.

"That's it. It's not big, but it is equipped with very latest in sound recording and synthesising. All the gadgets are right there on this soundboard," he said, caressing the steel. "And right there, through those doors, is my office." He looked with longing at that office. He obviously had a lot to catch up on.

But the tour proved too quick for the twins' liking; this was like a candy shop to them. Everything they each had secretly longed for was contained within this recording studio; they had too many questions to be merely satisfied with a quick tour.

"But this can't be all. We've only just started," protested Lucy, her face scrunching up in disappointment. Blaise's usual stocky indifference also melted away at this point and his face took on a mulish stubbornness.

Knyte laughed at their expressions, easily giving in to their unvoiced demands. "I have work to catch up on, but Kim here will answer any questions you have, and if you play nice, he may even let you try some of it out."

They grinned at him and then turned on the poor unsuspecting Kim.

"Show us everything," declared Lucy, as she swiftly rounded on the poor technician. But Kim merely fielded their questions and demands good-naturedly. It was only when he allowed them to try out recording that his demeanour changed.

"By God, but you can sing!" He declared to no one in particular, staring at the twins through the two-way window with some awe.

The twins were in the recording room, fooling around with thrills and random verses.

"Hey," he said into the mouthpiece, his voice reaching to the twins that way, "how about we try out some real songs." Kim busied about searching his song files. He read the lyrics and then stared up at the twins through the window assessingly before nodding his head and tapping print. "Let's see if you can sing to tunes you've never heard before," he added on a dare. Kim fiddled with some nobs on the soundboard and set up the file to play then dashed over through the connecting door to hand the twins their set of the music. "Here try these."