Act 1: Hero Reborn

When shadow successfully defeats shin he meets a major character in the country Japan - May. From this point onwards, May accompanies shadow and sensei on their quest to collect the demon seals. May also introduces shadow to tournament and survival, which he used to earn money to fund his arsenal of weapons and armor. Shadow also learns about the criminal organization, the order, being headed by Lynx. Shadow then defeats each of Lynx's bodyguards (Duels are unlocked upon defeating the second bodyguard), learning more and more about the order and its members with each battle. He also fights Trickster, a talented fighter who gives up his Nunchacku if shadow manages to best him in combat.
By this time, shadow is ready to fight Lynx. The battle occurs at night time on a roof top. Lynx invites shadow to join the order, but shadow declines and insists a fight take place. The fight against lynx however is a challenging on a forcing shadow to say within close range, as Lynx use ranged weapons which are unavailable for the player at that time. Shadow defeats Lynx, and Lynx becomes fearful of losing control of the order. But when he surrenders it and leaves. Shadow then unlocks the use of ranged weapons.