『High School ➵ Later』

High School ; a year later 

My eyes barely remained open as I flopped unceremoniously down beside San at our table, grunting out a half hearted greeting before I let my head fall down onto the tabletop.

"...maybe if you actually concentrated in class you wouldn't be failing." Seonghwa's voice floated through the air and I didn't bother to lift my head and greet him, or whoever he was walking with. Judging by his comment it could only be Mingi.

The tall individual seemed to struggle with keeping his attention on something for longer than five minutes at a time unless it was math, whereas Seonghwa was passing every subject easily with flying colours; he barely needed to apply himself, he was naturally perfect at almost everything he tried.

Sure enough, Mingi's signature dismissive scoff followed, much closer now than Seonghwa's voice had been moments ago and I mustered up just enough energy to tilt my head and watch the two of them approach and sit down.

San snickered tiredly from beside me, leaning in to whisper in my ear.

"Maybe one day Mingi will actually listen to his elders." I barely lifted an eyebrow, eyes flickering to San's.

"Probably on the same day you do." I shot back, enjoying the instant defensive look that hazed his eyes at the response.

"You're just jealous you're not as insanely talented as me." He muttered, huffing and seeming to brighten as his gaze flickered over my shoulder. "Hey Yunho, Yeo!"

Instantly my body was ten times more alert, somehow finding energy that it hadn't had moments ago. I straightened and twisted, greeting my best friend with a wide smile that he returned instantly.

My chest warmed when he slipped easily into the waiting space on the other side of me, quietly greeting everyone else.

The last year since we'd come to this high school and met the five people we spent nearly every day with had easily been one with more surprises than I'd been expecting. One that hadn't really been much of a surprise but more of an acknowledgment was just how much Yeosang meant to me.

Though every one of the five boys in our close knit circle was important to me, and I depended heavily on each of them... Yeosang was important in a completely different kind of way.

But he didn't see me as anything more than a best friend, a sister, a blind man could've told me as much.

"How much sleep did you get last night?" He asked lowly as the conversation picked up amongst the rest of the boys, gaze finding mine as easily as if it were made to do so. I forced myself not to look away.

"What's sleep?" I joked tiredly, letting my head drop heavily back towards the table, expecting a hard thud of pain to greet my temple. Instead a warm, somewhat soft, impact cushioned the blow.

"Be more careful." Yeosang murmured, frowning and adjusting his position so his hand could stay where it was below my head and he could pick up a quiet conversation with Seonghwa across the table. I tried to ignore the hard flutter of butterflies in my chest, forcing my eyes closed. One of them would wake me when lunch was over.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Do you actually know the answers or not?" Yunho poked my forehead gently with the end of his pencil, eyes peering down at the empty piece of paper in front of me. I groaned and swatted the offending stick of wood and lead away from my face.

"No!" I exclaimed, flicking the paper away in frustration. Our music teacher had assigned us the task of picking out which instruments played in a short clip he provided. Even Yunho, who normally enjoyed music, looked over the project at this point.