CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: The Debt

The students of the Imperial Academy were all busy primping themselves for tonight's ball. Lira and Yumi were in Mari's room trying on the gowns and fixing each other's hair. Lira decided to wear an oblique-shoulder strap, sleeveless white chiffon flowing gown with empire cut and gold thread embroidered over the bust of the gown. Mari dressed her hair in ringlet curls spilling on her back with small curled tendrils falling on the sides of her face. "I must say, this Goddess-slash-Bride look suits you well," Mari complimented.

Yumi chose an emerald green sleeveless gown with a slight sweetheart neckline and a fitted waist. The bodice was decorated with crystal beads and flowed into a long chiffon skirt. Her hair, which became slightly longer than before, was the same golden reddish brown that she wore during her birthday. "Lavinia will be sooooo envy green," she chuckled.

Mari decided to wear a sweetheart neckline, sleeveless fuchsia pink taffeta gown, with beaded-crystal belt over the waist that fell to an A-line skirt. Her 'do was soft curls swept to the side over one shoulder. "Matt is so going to fall for you this time," Lira affirmed.

A dashing debonair in the form of Ian waited for them outside their dorm building, wearing a tux. For the occasion, he finally (finally!) removed his beanie, though his glasses retained. "Hey, Ian where did your pointy ears go?" Lira whispered.

"I used some extra glamour. It's using most of my energy now. Watch out for me if I suddenly went all clumsy and tripping and all."

The great hall was transformed into a magnificent place. The majestic crystal chandelier gave off soft light, giving the hall a warm soothing atmosphere. A band of musicians was atop a dais, providing music that resonated around the hall. The hall was already swarming with sea of people dancing in the middle of the floor. Some guests were along the long banquet table, helping themselves with some hors d'oeuvres. It was an amazing site, Lira mused. Their upperclassmen as well as the academy's former students were engaged in conversations with their vampire counterparts, as if they didn't belong in different set of gene pools.

Lira spied the Imperials surrounded by other senior vampires from different noble houses. The brothers were sporting their royal court uniform or dress or whatever they call them—frankly Lira didn't know. They wore a black suit with gold trimmings and too many golden buttons to count. They held their stance so regally no one would ever mistake them for someone other than being a prince. The only girl with them was Elisabeth wearing a simple wine red sleeveless gown that put emphasis to her classic beauty.

A senior male classmate asked Mari for a dance. Yumi looked around her and was fascinated. She admitted that she sometimes spied from the third floor landing of Lavinia's house, hidden behind railings to see Lavinia's parents hosting grand balls and parties, but nothing could compare to the grandiosity of the Imperial Academy Ball.

"Dance with me Ian!" Yumi said, dragging a poor and helpless Ian to the dance floor.

"A lady shouldn't ask the gentleman to dance, Yumi. It's the other way around," Ian explained.

Yumi shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, I'm no lady so I'm an exemption."

Lira chuckled as the pair went to the middle of the hall. Lira was left musing to herself, admiring the transformation of the Great Hall, when she heard someone whispered, "You're looking fine tonight."

She whirled around to find Matt almost hidden in the shadows behind her with a toothy grin. He was wearing his customary Elite Guard uniform: Black shirt and army pants with a sheathed dagger strapped around his forearm. He might be hiding some other weapons, of that Lira wasn't sure.

"Hey. How are you? Are you sure you're up for slayer duty?" Lira asked, sounding concerned.

"Wouldn't miss this Ball for the world," he said sarcastically. "I take my job seriously, you know. This Ball is highly infested with vamps. We need to make sure their lot stick to the treaty."