CHAPTER FIVE : Mortal Enemy # 1

A month had passed and Lira and her friends were able to adjust with their everyday routine. Lira found it amazing that she was able to find friends in the likeness of Mari and Yumi; the three were inseparable, well for most of the time. But Lira still gave herself some period alone. During her spare time if Mari was busy with her admirers and Yumi was elsewhere mixing liquids and powders to create what she called "the hair color of the century", she spent it in the library rummaging for books. There were so many interesting finds, though there was not a single book of history on the shelf. If not reading, she would use one of the several computers available in the library to send emails and bombard Claire with her stories of the academy. Occasionally she would include snippets of the lessons she received. Claire would probably be able to read her emails sometime later at the end of the month. For them, even the most outdated technology was a luxury they could seldom afford.

If not in the library, Lira would spend a few moments in the garden feeling at home with all the plants and flowers around. The garden reminded her of home. Their small cottage on Isla del Sur was surrounded with potted plants and flowers of which most of it she planted herself, and trees were abundant in the Isla unlike in most places in Northernland and Middleland.

But most of the time, she spent her days with Yumi and Mari. Senior High was, Lira surmised, the best time of her life. But of course, senior year was not complete without bullies to torment her life from time to time. These bullies came in the form of mortal enemy number 1: Matteo de la Vega. He started senior high last year but decided to quit school and instead joined the training for the Vampire Slayer Division, that was also being housed in the academy, to be a full pledge Elite Guard. An Elite Guard, sometimes called Slayer, were task to make sure the vampires adhere to the treaty; they also protect the humans from any vampire attack. In Lira's opinion, the world would be in great peril if Matt, who had an overflowing self-confidence he considered his greatest asset, became a full pledge Elite Guard. For now, he constantly made his presence available to throw some snide remarks here and there whenever possible.

Mortal enemy number 2 spot was dedicated to Lavinia Corazon and her gang of giggly girls. They call themselves the Elites, since they figured out they were all from the First and that they were the most popular among the rest of the clique. Secretly behind their backs, Yumi called Lavinia the Queen Bee Wannabe and her squad of stuck-up snobs. Clara, it would seem, was part of Lavinia's group and appeared as though she was second in command, hanging on to Lavinia's every word. The group would occasionally flaunt their "riches" at Yumi and Lira, and most often would remind the two of their status in society. And although Clara would not take part in their group's antics, she still did not acknowledge Lira.

"Mari attracts boys. I attract bullies. Life is not fair," Lira grumbled during one of those rare days when they were sitting on the grassy field. The clouds completely covered the sun, giving them a wonderful shade and a slight cold temperature.

"And I attract flies," Yumi said, trying to swat a fly on her arm.

"It's because someone left banana peels to decompose," said Ian as he stood, picked up the almost rotting banana peel on the ground and threw it on the garbage. "When will these kids learn to throw their own trash?"

Ian was a tall, lanky boy they befriended. The only clue that he was a brown haired boy was the short brown fringes that peak underneath his black beanie which covered his entire head and the top of his ears. "I have a weird and embarrassing haircut," was his only explanation when they asked him why he always wore the cap. He also had a pair of very intriguing amber colored eyes behind his glasses. He was an awkward looking kid, all skin and bones. He was a bit clumsy, too, as he always seemed to trip whenever he walked and he attracted a few minor accidents along the way. He also had a hard time adjusting to other boys his age; and considering there were only a sporadic number of boys from the same caste where he belonged and since he was considered as a walking disaster by the rest, it was no one's wonder why he had a hard time fitting in. He was a Third like Lira and Yumi, and Lira sort of adopted him in their group.