He picked up the phone in his office and searched a list of numbers, looking for the one to Carla's office. When he found it, he dialed it and waited for her to answer.

"Carla's office."

"Yes, it is me. Mr. Styles."

"Oh. Hi."

"Hi. Will you meet me in my office? I want to talk about something very important. But don't worry. You're not in trouble."

"Sure. Now?"

"Yes. Now."

"I'm on my way."

A half minute later, there was a knock on his door.

"Come in."

The door opened and Carla walked in.

"Close the door behind you and then have a seat."

She did.

"I know you're busy with the job you're supposed to work. But I called upon you because I am about to ask you to do something for me that you haven't done in a long time."

"Okay. What is it?"

"I need you to hire an assistant for me."

She looked confused. "You mean find someone for Zayn's job?"

"Yes. Zayn won't be here for a while. So I'm going to need a temporary one in his place. Someone who does not mind traveling with me. Someone who doesn't mind doing whatever I ask. Someone responsible, hardworking. You know... whatever it is that you found in Zayn."

"That might be hard."

"I know it will. But that's okay. You'll get a bonus for the time you spend. Just make sure whoever you hire understands that it's only a temporary hire. It isn't permanent."

"Okay. I will. And what about the office. People are going to be asking questions. Is Zayn's kidnapping still a secret for everyone else?"

"Yes. They still think he's sick and only you and Liam know the truth. It should remain that way."

"I'll see to it."

He sat back in the chair and thumb wrestled with himself. "Well, thank you for your help. You can return to work."

He was expecting her to get up and go at his dismisal. But she stayed in the chair and studied him. Just by looking at him, it was easy to tell he really needed someone to talk to. Zayn's kidnapping was hard on him too.

"How are you holding up?"

"Uh... I'm okay. I understand that life moves on. Plus I have Zayn back. So I'm one of the lucky ones."

"How is Zayn, then? I couldn't be there for the welcome home surprise but Liam told me he asked everyone to leave."

Harry looked embarrassed. "He did. But only because he's self conscious about how he looks with the bruises and all."

"You mean Zayn Malik cares what people think about him? Strange."

"You have no idea just how strange. And not just that is strange. But everything. The way he's acting. Talking. All strange. He won't even follow the doctors dietary instructions. Even when he knows he's malnourished after what happened to him."

"He's still readjusting."

"Must be."

"What about the beard?"

Harry stood up from his chair and went to the window to look down at the traffic. "It's still there. And he has made no effort to trim it. To be honest, I'm worried."