Chapter:2 Testing Day

Perspective of Gon

   I step out the shower and shake my head getting some of the water out before grabbing a towel off the rack. "I hope I don't end up late for the Exam. None of them will be happy if I am." I say drying myself off. I hang my towel back up before sliding on my boxers and shorts.

   "Let's see...What will I need for today?" I ask myself, walking over to my luggage to grab my white T-shirt and green jacket. I grab my wallet and place it in my backpack. "Okay so wallet with hunter license, check. Room key?" I grab it off the nightstand along with my phone and put them both in the bag. "Check. I think that's all I will need."

   I zip up the bag and throw it on. "Time to go. The starting location is on the other side of Yorknew. If I run I can make it with time to spare." I exit my room and make sure it's locked behind me. I run down the hall to the elevator and wait for it to arrive. "Come on, come on," I say impatiently.

   About a minute later it arrives and I press the button for the ground floor. The elevator descends quickly, thankfully not having to pick people up on the other floors. Upon reaching the lobby I rush over to the breakfast area and grab a blueberry muffin before I make my way outside the hotel. I didn't want to tear up the inside by sprinting in there.

    As I start to sprint away, I hear a voice for an instant. It almost sounds like someone calling my name. I shrug it off. It was just the wind in my ears distorting somebody talking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Perspective of Killua

    "What do you want for breakfast Alluka?" I ask as we descend in the elevator. "I want waffles!" She says excitedly. I smile and pat her head before I put my hands together behind mine. "Waffles sound pretty good. Great breakfast to start the day."

   The elevator reaches the ground floor and we exit it, heading towards the lobby. The smell of eggs, bacon, and waffles hit like a steamroller. "Oh, that smells so good!" I say happily, my stomach growling at the smell of the food. Alluka goes off and starts to make herself a waffle. I grab a plate and pile on bacon and eggs while I wait for the waffle maker to be available.

    I watch over Alluka as I eat at a table nearby, making sure nobody tries anything funny, but something catches my attention in the corner of my eye. I spot a boy in green quickly run over to the tables and grab a muffin before rushing out the hotel entrance. "Is that?..." I feel my heart stop for a moment. A sudden weight on my chest. I jump up from the table and chase after him, but when he gets outside he takes off as a bullet fired from a gun! "GON!" I yell out as the boy runs off.

   He appears to hesitate the next step he takes for a fraction of a second before continuing off deeper into the city. "That couldn't have been him...he wouldn't be in the city by himself." I think to myself sadly my heart sinking, but I go over to the reception desk to ask about the boy. I take a look over at Alluka and see she is happily eating her waffle in the chair next to mine.

    "Excuse me?" I ask the receptionist. "Do you mind if I ask who that boy was?" The receptionist looks me over curiously. "Sorry kiddo," he says. "Hotel policy says we can't just give our residents information." I sigh and pull out my hunter license and show it to him and his eyes widen like saucers. "Oh! You are a Pro-Hunter! My apologies." He bows apologetically. "Let me check. You mean the dark-haired boy that was wearing green?"I nod in response taking another look over at Alluka. "Let's see..." He trails off as he searches the computer. "Do you know his name? That would help." I nod. "Gon Freecss. He is a Pro-Hunter as well." The man types into the computer and he nods to me. "Yep! Gon Freecss. Pro-Hunter, room 1123."

   My heart starts to race and my jaw drops as I look over to the door. "It is Gon!" I think to myself. I feel tears trying to make themselves present but I push them back not wanting to cry in front of all these people. "Thank you for helping. I appreciate it." I say slightly out of it. He bows again "Of course sir. Please ask if you need anything else."

   I walk back to my chair and flop down in it pushing my plate of food away, my appetite gone. Alluka gives me a funny look. "Onīsan? Are you ok? You're not looking too good." My eyes are wide, my cheeks are hot. "It's him..." I say to her in a dazed shocked state. "Who? Who is him?" She asks the concern in her voice present. "It's Gon, Alluka. He is the boy I saw. He's the one who is in the room above ours."
   I take a deep breath and steady myself. "Hold on Alluka. I need to do something before we head out for the day."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Perspective of Gon

    I arrive at the starting location in about an hour. "Finally. I'm here with time to spare!" I say cheerily. I descend the elevator that takes me to the underground area where all the testers have gathered. The room is packed. It's more than when I had taken my test.

   I look at the latest applicants number. "734. Are the last one to arrive so far?" The man nods to me and continues on his way. I decide to make my way to the front when I feel my phone vibrate in my bag. I swing my bag around and pull it out. It's a message from Kurapika.

   Gon. I hear you are the examiner for the 1st phase of the exams this year! I've been brought on for the 2nd phase. I've also been told to send word to you saying you can start when you are ready.

   I quickly respond. I hope I get to see you! Don't expect too many applicants making it to the next phase. I'm not holding back!

   I put my phone back in my bag and step to the front of all the applicants. "Attention all applicants!" I yell out to get their attention. " My name is Gon and I will be your examiner for the first phase. We will be starting shortly!" All of the applicants are staring at me and many start laughing.

   A man up front laughing watches me. "Funny joke kid. Now get to the back and wait like the rest of us for the examiner." I pout slightly before sighing. "I am your examiner for this phase!" I say again. I slide my bag off and take my hunter license out of my wallet and proceed to show it to them. Immediately the laughing stops and the atmosphere becomes deadly serious.

   "This phase will not be easy but it will be simple. You will all step into this ring!" I gesture behind me as the wall rises up to reveal a tournament sized fighting ring. "You will all go in one on one matches with me! I'll take it easy on you!"

   No jokes were passed, there was no laughing. Some looked downright sick to their stomach. I spotted Tonpa in the crowd, he looked ready to lose his breakfast.

    "Applicant number one! Please step into the ring!" I place my bag to the side and put my wallet and license back in it. I step into the ring as a large muscular man steps in. He looks to be in his mid-20s. "The only way you get to pass onto the next phase is if you make me admit defeat or when I deem it so! Going outside the ring is a loss and will mean you are disqualified."

   As soon as I finish my sentence the man charges me. I push my hand out into his chest and send him flying into the wall behind him. "You are out of the ring! You have been disqualified!" I watch the man struggling to get up. "Applicant number two! Please step forward!"

(Authors Note. Sorry for the slight delay on this one. The next few chapters will be slow to release and in content a tad so again please bear with me. Next chapter will still be some world-building and everything getting set up. I don't want this to be too slow but I don't want it rushed either. Please leave your thoughts on this chapter in the comments and let me know if I made any errors in grammar or anything. Thank you all! Have a great day!