Becoming Atlantian [20]

Chapter

The citadel looked much the same as it had when Aubrey had first arrived there but after her trip to Troy and the revelation about the matriarch, the entire structure appeared to be full of ominous shadows that stood glaringly on their approach. The place which had held so much wonder was now tainted. The young woman was left wondering whether she would ever feel truly comfortable with the Matriarch around. It wasn’t every day that an ex-librarian gained a deadly enemy after all.

Patroklus had finally stopped screaming much to the relief of his travelling companions and Jet had graciously allowed him to ride upon her back rather than dangling between her clawed feet. His own eyes widened as they got closer.

“It’s pretty special isn’t it?” Aubrey whispered more to herself than anything but the Greek nodded his head dumbly from his perch in front of her.

The black scaled dragon circled above the courtyard as she waited for the other dragons to land before she finally made the final descent. And when Aubrey noted the Matriarch watching from one of the upper floors – or more importantly, the expression on the older woman’s face was enough to bring dread to the red head’s stomach.

As soon as the wings flapped and the dragon came to a jarring halt on the concrete, the stable boys and dragon handlers came rushing forth to help get the beast settled into her bed while the passengers recuperated from their long trip. But, Patroklus and Aubrey had barely set foot on the stone floors before robed men were advancing from all sides.

Inhaling sharply, Aubrey felt her fight or flight instincts kick in. She could sense that their intentions were anything but welcoming but she hesitated from sending a roundhouse kick a the closest because the consequences might be more than she was willing to bear.

“Stand down Ms Winters,” a wizened voice barked from under his hood, his identity protected by the shadows covering his face. When she did nothing more than stare at his with fists and jaw clenched, he sighed and turned back towards the doors leading inside the citadel. “Follow me, we have much to discuss.”

Gulping back her nerves, Aubrey fought the urge to flee and reluctantly followed after the ominous looking group inside. The walls felt that much more confining after a long flight in the open air and terror welled within her at the possible outcome of this secretive meeting.

“Where’s Tiberius?” The young red head murmured.

The moping Greek behind her heard and pointed to the corner where Tiberius was in the midst of an intense conversation with a beautiful tall woman. His distraction flicked her gaze momentarily away from the scarred warrior’s face to meet the frantic gaze of Aubrey. Their eyes connected but there was anything but warmth that passed between the two.

The tall beauty whipped her hair back from her face before she laughed heartily at something the Atlantian opposite her has said. It sent shivers down the young spectator’s spine as her eyes narrowed upon their target – not because she was jealous – but because she felt the beauty captivating Tiberius was a purposeful distraction.

“It looks like we are on our own Pat.”  Aubrey murmured and turned her head towards the Greek in search of some comfort before they disappeared into the confines of the building.

But as the red head turned her gaze towards the spot at her shoulder where he had been only moments before, she noted that he had vanished into thin air. She halted and her head whipped around in a frantic attempt to find the young and clueless man but hands wrapped around the tops of her arms in vicelike grips. Aubrey didn’t even have time to protest before a hand clapped over her mouth and she was dragged away from the courtyard.