Helen could practically feel the color draining from her face, and she had no doubt that the horror in her eyes was palpable when Addy's lips tilted into a shit-eating grin as she looked over Helen's shoulder.

Turning around slowly, Helen swallowed thickly when she found a clean white SUV parked against the curb, a grinning Patterson bent over the console, his aviators popped onto his forehead as he peered at them through the passenger-side window.

"Good morning, gorgeous," he continued, passing Helen a wink before shifting his attention to Addy. Part of Helen was more than a bit pleased when his smile shifted into one of pure politeness—not that she'd ever admit to that. "And you are?"

Addy whipped her head around, hissed at Helen, "Holy hell," and then turned back to Pat. "Addison," she greeted him, taking a step closer to his car. "I'm Helen's best friend."

"The roommate," he acknowledged with a nod, before looking at Helen once more. "What are you doing over there, Helena? Normally, I can barely keep you away from me."

Schooling her features to express boredom, Helen stepped up to the side of the vehicle, stopping beside Addy; she wasn't blind to her best friend's astonished look, which was no doubt there because of what Pat had called her.

She'd never stopped him from using her full name, unlike almost everyone else, and she knew that Addy would latch onto that piece of information and remember it for a very long time.

"Maybe it's because you're looking particularly gross this morning." She scoffed once she had gathered her thoughts, hoping the slight tremor in her voice was undetectable.

It wasn't, if the quirking of Patterson's eyebrows was any indication. "I'm sure that's it," he said, thankfully letting her off the hook. "I must admit, I wasn't expecting to meet you," he gestured to Addy with his chin, "under these circumstances. Where are you two off to? Skipping work today, Helena?"

Helen opened her mouth to answer but was stopped when Addy barked a laugh and leaned against the open window nonchalantly. "Helen? Skipping work? Have you known her for very long?"

"Long enough," he returned, his smile turning devious as he regarded Addy appraisingly. "I take it she's always been this way? I always expected to be picking girls up late at night, but I figured it would be from parties—not from a thirty-six-hour work day."

"That's not even possible," Helen grumbled under her breath.

"'Always been this way' is an understatement," Addy chuckled, ignoring Helen. "Honestly, I'm surprised she knows what a bed feels like—"

"I don't think I like what's happening here." Helen declared, her narrowed eyes shifting between the pair suspiciously. "In fact, I know I don't like it."

"It's a good thing we don't care what you think," Addy snarked, sticking her tongue out at Helen.

Patterson chuckled but held his hands up in a sign of surrender. "Speak for yourself—I'm the one who has to drive her, and I want a good rating. Speaking of," he sobered, dropping his chin and eyeing Helen curiously, "do you ladies need a ride?"

"No," Helen said, at the same moment that Addy released a relieved cry of, "Oh, hell yes!"

Pat's grin widened. "Hop in."

Addy pushed away from the window and went to open the passenger door but was stopped when Patterson told her apologetically, "I hate to tell you this, Addison, but that's Helen's seat."

Raising her hands and stepping back, Addy gestured for Helen to get inside and hissed in the other girl's ear, "Wow, he's in love with you," before climbing into the backseat.