How the Series Works

I am frequently asked questions regarding the Underworld/Hell series and it's so hard to answer them all with the character limits the comments give me, so I've decided to answer your questions in-depth here.

The questions that I will answer will not give away spoilers regarding one-shots or anything of the sort. They're general questions about ranking, ages, powers, media, and all that fun stuff in the series! So here we go~

Q: How does the "energy" work to use magic?

A: That can best be described as a full glass of water. Our energy starts out full, but the more we use it, the more they use it, the less water left in the glass until they reach the bottom and they need to recharge with rest, sleep, food, and for gods, ambrosia and nectar.

Q: What about Recharge?

A: Recharge is an illness for gods and demigods in which they use up all their energy and try to push further than that (going without recommended rest, ambrosia, and nectar). The symptoms of Recharge involves high fever, vomiting blood, coughing blood, hallucinations, runny nose, sore throat. Recharge can last from five to twelve days, depending on how much rest the individual gets.

Q: What are ambrosia and nectar?

A: Ambrosia is the food of the gods. It's very sweet, and usually comes in bar shapes, like brownies or health bars. It's usually mixed with other foods to kill the horrible sweet flavor. Nectar is the drink of the gods, also incredibly sweet and usually watered down with booze or juice, even water. Only gods can consume it, and once they do, their powers will steadily be restored.

Q: How do the powers work for gods and demigods?

A: Powers are not chosen at random. Each power with the gods, in particular, depends on the realm of rule that the god owns. For example, the Greek god Apollo. Apollo is the god of music, poetry, plagues, and sunlight. Apollo's abilities would pertain to those realms of rule. As a god of music, he can produce hypnotic melodies. As a god of plagues, he can cast plagues that will cause untold horrors (i.e. Black Plague). Those are just a couple of his powers. He probably has many more that even I don't know about. The powers are produced from his chosen realm of rule. And to maintain their extensive power, they tend to rely on their believers and followers. And despite the decrease in pagan religion, there are still people who believe in the old gods and worship them, giving them power. They also draw in from the Source (the mass from whence all things came).

The same would go for a demigod. Say, Apollo and a mortal woman sire a child. This child would be a demigod and inherit some of Apollo's abilities, such as his ability to compose hypnotic melodies, but he wouldn't have the full powers of a god. Just a couple that can be sustained by his human half.

Q: What about the powers of other Underworld creatures?

A: That would be an infinitely long list, so we'll do the basics and special characters that appear throughout the series. Since we technically already covered gods and demigods, let's start with immortals. Immortals are basically humans that were granted sanctuary or eternal life by a god. For example, the character, Kat, Cain's second-in-command. She is immortal. She was human, until she fought a war in Hades's name. Hades granted her immortality. Immortality also comes with a few other convenient perks, including teleportation, fast healing, and immunity to disease.

Now demons. There are thousands of different demon classifications and they vary widely depending on the culture and region. But most of them have the basic power list that consists of the following: Teleportation, fast healing, immunity to disease, abnormal strength and speed, ability to summon small objects, and can change small features on their physical body (hair, eyes, etc). We'll stick to the demons most frequently mentioned throughout the series. That would be fire demons and ice demons.