Chapter 3: Lauren Wilson

Start from the beginning

"Understood, sir," Parker said.

"Now, you are dismissed," the Chief said.

We turned and moved quickly out of Chief Davis' office.

"Douchebag," Parker mumbled.

We walked over to the corridor outside of the interrogation rooms and turned to the room which now housed Mrs. Wilson.

I looked through the mirror and there she sat, Lauren Wilson. I remember thinking earlier that she couldn't have been older than her late 20s, but at this moment she looked like she was about 50. She sat nervously biting her nails.

Lloyd entered the interrogation room, sat across from Lauren Wilson and started in.

"Mrs. Wilson, can you explain to me why you lied to my partner and I?"

"Rachel told me that if anyone asked to tell them that she was staying with me last night."

"And why would she do that?" Lloyd asked.

"S-Sometimes she had me cover for her with Ralph so that she could get out of the house. Is she really dead?"

"So, this wasn't the first time you've lied to cover for her. Is this the first time that you've lied to the police? You know that lying to the police is a felony."

"I-I didn't know that she was dead. If I had known that I would have told you the truth."

"So, what exactly is the truth then, Mrs. Wilson? When was the last time that you saw Rachel Walker alive?" Lloyd stood up from his chair, glaring down at Lauren Wilson.

"The truth is that I never saw her last night! I haven't seen her in a few days. Sometimes she just liked to get away from Ralph for the night, that's it!"

"So where did she go if she wasn't staying with you?"

Lauren Wilson began to cry.

"Did she tell you why she liked to get away from Ralph?"

Lauren Wilson continued sobbing.

"Mrs. Wilson, answer my questions! Where were you last night?!"

"I never left the house," she finally was able to get out.

"Can anybody vouch for this?"

"My husband," she said through tears.

"Anybody else?" Lloyd asked, seemingly irritated.

"No," she said.

"Well how convenient for you, Mrs. Wilson," Lloyd snarked.

Lauren Wilson's husband had arrived shortly after she had and demanded to speak to the person in charge. The Chief sat down with him and explained what was going on and why she was there. Mr. Wilson was shown into the hall and pushed past all of us congregating outside of the mirror. He looked in and saw his wife, a blubbering mess of tears seated at the interrogation room table and Detective Lloyd drilling the screws into her.

"What the hell is going on?" he demanded.

"Mr. Wilson," the Chief began. "Can you verify your wife's whereabouts last night between the hours of 7 and 9 pm?"

"She was home all night! What is this about?"

"Did she leave the house for any reason last night?"

"Of course not! Where would she have gone?! Would somebody tell me what this is about?" he pleaded.

"Mr. Wilson, your wife's friend, Mrs. Rachel Walker was found dead last night. Your wife lied to the police when she was asked if she had seen Mrs. Walker."