Chapter 3: Lauren Wilson

"D-D-Dead?!" Lauren Wilson finally got out.

"That's right," Lloyd started. "Her body was recovered a few blocks from your house."

"I-I-I..." she began.

"Do you mind coming back with us to the station and answering a few more questions?"

"Y-Y-Yes, let me grab my coat," she stammered.

Lloyd and Hanson placed her into the back of their squad car, and we all drove off back towards the station.

When we arrived, Hanson took Lauren Wilson and placed her in an interrogation room. Lloyd, Parker and I marched towards the Chief's office with a purpose.

When we got there, Lloyd took out his glasses and notepad and began reading the notes that he had written following our encounter with Lauren Wilson.

This turn of events seemed to shock even the Chief.

"Do you think she had something to do with this?" the Chief asked.

"She seemed genuinely surprised that her friend was dead," said Lloyd. "But she obviously is lying about something."

"An honest witness around here is an oxymoron," Parker whispered to me. "Everybody in this town's got something to hide."

"You two," the Chief motioned to us to come forward.

We took a step forward.

He started to chuckle a little bit.

"I've been doing this a long time, right Lloyd?" he asked.

Lloyd nodded his approval but did not seem to share his same enthusiasm.

"Now, maybe my memory is failing me, hell, most days I can't find glasses when they're right on my face."

He laughed again; Parker began laughing along with him.

"However," he began, suddenly changing moods. Parker froze and stood up straight.

"I don't remember telling you to accompany the detectives to the residence. In fact, I remember ordering you back here."

He was angry.

"We just went as back-" Parker began before being interrupted.

"I don't want to hear it. When I give you an order, you follow it!"

The Chief's bald head began turning red with rage.

"Yes, sir," Parker and I declared.

"Now, I've got some paperwork here for the two of you to file. And where are those reports that I asked you to get to me?"

He was fuming.

"They're right there on your desk," Parker said, pointing down to a stack of papers.

"They're on your desk, sir!" the Chief corrected, angrily.

"Yes, sir," Parker said.

"Say it!" the Chief shouted.

"Say what?" Parker asked.

"Say what, sir!" the Chief shouted again, irate.

"Say what, sir?" Parker repeated.

"They're on your desk, sir!" the Chief repeated.

"They're on your desk, sir!" Parker reported.

I was getting dizzy.

"Don't let it happen again. Understood?!" the Chief asked.

"Understood" Parker said.

"Understood, sir!" the Chief corrected again.