~20~

I smiled as I caught a glimpse of Maisie in my room.

Today is graduation day. I had laid my cap and gown on my bed for me to put on later and when I opened my door I saw Maisie with my cap on her tiny head while she looked into the mirror.

"What are you doing silly girl," I said laughing as I walked into my room.

"I wanted to see how I would look," she said with a goofy smile on her face.

"Well it's my turn to put in on because we have to leave soon. Are you ready to go?" I said as I took the cap off of her head.

"I just have to put my shoes on, but you need to help me," she said when she exited my room.

I carefully took my gown off of my bed. It was purple and white, along with the cap, for my school colors.

After I had the gown on I placed the cap on my head. With a quick look in the mirror I decided that I was ready to graduate.

I left my room and walked to Maisie's room to help her put her shoes on. She still put them on the wrong foot and can't tie them.

"I need to drop you and Bailey off with Daniel because I need to get to the school early. I'm not going to see you for a while so please be good for Daniel. Watch your sister and don't get into trouble. Okay?" I said once we exited her room.

I picked up Bailey from her crib now that she woke up from her nap.

I got everyone buckled into the car and then headed to Daniels house.

"Look at you," Daniel said with a big smile on his face as we walked up to the front door.

"Thank you for taking them. I really had no other options," I said as I handed him Bailey.

"Yeah no problem. I'm sure they'll be just fine. Are you nervous?" He asked when we were inside the house.

"I'm a little nervous about my speech, but I'm not nervous to actually graduate."

Daniel walked over to me and gave me a quick kiss on the lips. "I'm sure you'll do great."

I smiled and then said, "I have to go now. Good luck with the kids. I love you."

I walked out the door and headed back to my car to drive to the school. Once I arrived, I walked to the meeting spot for all the graduating seniors. They had everyone else lined up in alphabetical order except for me, the valedictorian, salutatorian, and class president. Basically everyone giving a speech had to be at the front of the line.

After about an hour and a half it was finally go time. The music started playing and we slowly walked to our seats. They played the nation anthem and then the speeches began. Our Mayor spoke, then our principal, and then the class president, followed by he valedictorian, then the salutatorian. It was then my turn to get up and speak to my whole class and the audience members.

I walked up to the stage with sweaty, shaky hands. I got to the microphone and took a deep breath, taking in the sight before me. All eyes on me, everyone in matching colors, the flag waving in the wind, the birds flying overhead, and the wide range of people in the audience. With another deep breath I began my speech.

"Hello fellow graduating classmates. My name is Byron Miller. Many of you know me as I have been going to school with some of you guys since we were five. A lot of you guys know me as "the dude with two daughters". And though that is partly true, it is not what you would assume it is. Earlier this year I was called down to the guidance office and told that I was awarded with the "student speech". I had no idea what that meant. It was described to me as "a student who has stood out from everyone else gives a speech". I had no clue what I wanted to say. There is so much that I wanted my classmates to know about the true story of me. I just never had to opportunity to explain it. And now that I do, here is a shortened version of what I've gone through. Starting with my 10th birthday. My dad left when he found out I was gay. My mom met a new guy and got married and had my sister Maisie. When he died my mom became an alcoholic. I became the main caregiver of my little sister at the age of 15. I had to find a job. I was struggling. We had no food, no help, no electricity. All we were provided with was abuse. My mom met another guy and ended up getting pregnant again. When my little sister Bailey was born, her dad left within days. My mother was still an alcoholic so I became the caregiver of Bailey too. At this point I was 17 and caring for two little girls. I had all my schoolwork along with a full time job after school. When I turned 18 in December I became the legal guardian of both of my sisters and my mom went to and is still in rehab. While all of that craziness was happening, I met my soulmate. I fell completely in love with him. He continues to amaze me. He helped me through the battle I was dealing with every day. Today Maisie is 5 and Bailey is 6 months old. I couldn't be more proud of them. Because it wasn't just me who went through this, they did too. They got me through it more than anyone else. All the kisses and "I love yous" at bedtime and all the hugs where she tries to reach her arms all the way around, but shes just too little. It was all those things that make this whole thing worth it. And sometimes it makes me glad that everyone else left. If they didn't then I wouldn't have the two little miracles that I get to watch grow every single day. I don't think I'll ever understand how someone could even leave such beautiful human beings. So that's my story. I bet all the people that were bullies to me for "sleeping around and getting a girl pregnant twice" feel like real assholes right now. But that's okay. You live and you learn, right? For a long time I wondered what I had done to deserve the punishment of abuse and and guilt. When in reality it was just what had to be done to give me the immense happiness that I feel now. And all that happiness tells me that this was right. This is what was meant to be. This was my destiny."