Chapter 5

After so many agonising stops for the three possums who hid and sneaked around in the many trees, bushes and rocks, they all soon caught up with the rest of the mammals as they continued walking towards the end of the valley.

They just passed Fast Tony who panicked when he saw them, mainly Manny and bounced away in his ball like state, almost like he was caught stealing a egg from their mother or something.

Hazel just rolled her eyes with a groan. She heard him yell some words about something for someone but didn't tune it all in before he noticed them. She'll never understand his antics.

She stopped when she saw Manny stop and turn around, getting her, alongside with Diego and Sid to turn as well and see Ellie holding two branches which a small amount of leaves, one with her trunk and her tail as she sneaked from, possibly, the boulder.

When she noticed their gazes, she quickly panicked, dropping the branches and hid behind a skinny tree, completely visible to the naked eye.

"Ugh, we'll never make it at this pace-" Manny groaned under his breath before yelling out to her, "Ellie, you can lose your camouflage, you're safe!!"

He soon continued on his way as Ellie yelled out loud "Okayyy!~" with a wave of her trunk.

"She's strange." She mutters to Diego who turned towards her. "How does she thinks she's a possum? She's ten times bigger than them!"

"Who knows." Diego shrugged. "Maybe she hit her head too many times."

"Perhaps." She sighed heavily. "I don't understand the means of some mammals, I swear, Ellie, Fast Tony-"

"Sid?" Diego comments nonchalantly.

She stared at him and thought over his comment for a bit before looking over at the sloth who'd turned towards them when his heard his name been mentioned.

"What?"

"Him too." She turned back to Diego.

"Hawk!!" They stopped briefly after the yell from behind them and were lifted off the ground briefly as a loud THUD echoed.

They turned around to see not only the possums, Crash and Eddie as they found out a while ago, but also Ellie on their backs with their eyes closed and their tongues stuck out of the side of their mouths

"What are you doing?" Manny questions, mainly towards Ellie.

"Playing dead." She mumbles, making him narrow his eyes at the response.

"Hey Manny," Sid began, "Why don't you do that?"

"Because, I'm a mammoth!" He sharply turned his head at the sloth, who backed up in a panic.

"But you do it for treats right?"

"I really wanna hit him." Hazel groaned loudly, frankly tried of dealing with idiocy.

"Don't we all?" Diego bluntly replies.

Ellie opens an eye as she looks at the herd who all stood before them. "Is he gone?"

They all looked up at the hawk who'd circled for a bit, soon flew away in a different direction.

"You're safe," Manny reassures the three, "get up."

"Phew," Ellie lets out in relief, "aw man," She then rolls around to get up with the help of her possum brothers, "if you guys weren't here, that hawk would've swooped down, and snatched me up for dinner." She tells them with a complete straight face once she got up. "That's how cousin Wilton went."

Sid quickly twirled a finger around beside the side of his head whilst whistling "coo-coo," to Diego who paid no attention and Hazel just raised a brow.

He turned to Manny but just chuckled nervously when he saw that he was glaring daggers.

———

Hazel watched from the side as Manny and Ellie had their alone time, chatting to one another.

"Eavesdropping I see." She turned to Diego who walked up beside her. "I thought you knew better."

"I was just seeing if they're getting along." Hazel replies sheepishly as she walked beside him. "Maybe he'll be able to convince her that she's a mammoth."

"He is his own kind." He replied bluntly. "His her best chance to convince her."

"Hmm." Hazel sighed in a huff. "We meet a female mammoth after who knows how long of nothing and she just thinks she's something she isn't!"

"Life can be cruel." Diego states. "I'm sure she'll get around."

Hazel just gazed at him. "But even if we could, what if she rejects him or their both not into each other?"

"That's for them to decide." Diego replies before the two looked over at the mammoths who'd stopped and looked at the ground where their shadows lied.

"You're right, their the same!!" Ellie began excitedly before hitting Manny with her trunk happily as she proclaims, "You must be part-possum!!"

Hazel watched in disbelief as Ellie grinned widely and walked away from Manny who looked completely dumb-founded.

"You wish." One of the possum brothers told him, giving their brother a high five before racing up to their sister.

Hazel groaned loudly as she looked over at Diego. "I swear she's dense."

"If she thinks she's a possum, she's a possum." He shrugged.

"How do you think she's thinks a possum?" Hazel questioned with a raised a brow. "No way could she just woke up and decide that she's a possum."

"Maybe she was raised by a possum family." He suggests. "She did say the possums are her brothers."

Hazel just nodded to the answer. It sounded logically enough, even though she had to wonder what's happened even before that point for her to find a possum family.

"You both seem to be having fun." The two sabers jump from Sids' sudden appearance between them.

"Jeez Sid!" Hazel punched his shoulder in annoyance, knocking him to the ground. "Learn some privacy, would ya?!"

"That's ironic coming from you." Diego remarked.

"Come on you three!" They turned to Manny, who motioned his head in the direction that the others headed off in. "We got a boat to catch!"

The three quickly went up towards the mammoth and they began their way, catching up to the others, mainly the two possum brothers and their possum sister who's really a mammoth.

————
Sorry if this chapter feels completely rushed, I don't really have a clue on to write down here...

Also short chapter because I'm busy (is it short, it feels short-) no promises, but hopefully the next one will be longer.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed!!~ 💖