Chapter 14

Joe took a moment to run his fingers through his hair in front of the mirror one last time. After a short car ride, they had found themselves pulling up outside a fancy hotel that seemed to have been placed right in the middle of the desert - much like the Oasis Island mansion. They were quickly ushered to separate rooms to change, and he was supposed to meet Dianne for dinner in about five minutes.

Joe took a deep breath as he inspected his outfit in the mirror. Skinny black pants, loafers, and a silky shirt with a - rather questionable, in his opinion - flowery print. He had, against his better judgment, let Ben pick out the outfit earlier in the day. He added a pair of thick-rimmed glasses to complete the ensemble before shrugging hopelessly at his appearance and heading out the door. He could only hope Dianne wouldn't mind the flamboyant shirt choice as he nervously wiped his sweaty palms on his pants.

"Why are you so nervous?" he asked himself as he entered the elevator of the swanky hotel and pressed the button for the rooftop bar. "It's not like you haven't spent every waking...and sleeping...moment with this girl for the last week."

He had no reason to be so nervous, he reasoned with himself - this was Dianne. The same Dianne she's always been. Yet, there was something about this afternoon that had felt like it had shifted in his universe. Like suddenly this relationship he had formed with the beautiful redhead had been tilted on its side, exposing a new part of itself. He couldn't quite put his finger on what had exactly changed - he knew the flirty banter after the jump had edged close to crossing a boundary he was pretty sure they were both holding up high. But if Dianne's pink cheeks and wide smile was any indication, the almost-admission wasn't really a problem.

As he turned the corner and opened the door that led out onto a rooftop full of brightly colored flowers and twinkling lights, he felt his breath catch in his throat. In front of him, stood somewhat awkwardly in front of an overstuffed love seat, was Dianne. She shifted her weight between her feet, looking off into the distance, allowing him an extra moment to take in the full sight of her. She wore a short mini wrap dress, full of brightly colored vertical stripes and covered in sparkles, the neckline plunging to a deep V, and tied in a tight knot on the side. Although she was short, her legs looked miles long in a pair of nude heels, and her bright red hair flowed down her back in waves. To Joe, she looked like an angel.

Joe felt himself audibly gulp, as she finally turned her head back to his direction, her lips turning up into a nervous smile as she realized he was there. She reached down to smooth out her dress before taking a step toward him. Not giving her a chance to make it across the terrace, Joe found himself bounding toward her, stopping when there was just an inch between their bodies.

"You look incredible," Joe breathed, reaching out to place a hand on her waist, steadying her as she slightly wobbled in her heels.

He watched her face relax into a genuine smile as she let out a little giggle - which was quickly becoming his favorite sound. "You do too," she responded in a voice just above a whisper.

"Really?" he asked. "Because I'm not so sure about this shirt..."

---

Dianne felt herself let out a loud laugh at his typical goofy response, reaching out with one hand to smooth the fabric over his shoulders and down his chest before responding quietly, "It's perfect."

"You're perfect," Joe whispered back, before placing a chaste kiss on her cheek. She felt her stomach flip flop for what felt like the millionth time that day. Resisting the urge to grab him and snog his face off, she remembered there were cameras everywhere on the rooftop - producers had completely commandeered the bar area so it was empty, except for a lone bartender and server.