Chapter 1

Joe breathed in deeply and released it slowly, doing his best to control the nerves coursing through his body. He clasped his hands in his lap to try and stop the slight shake that had set in as he nervously glanced out the tinted windows of the big black SUV he had been rushed into 10 minutes prior. The landscape was bare - the heat emanating off the street in little waves. Luckily, the AC was on full blast blowing directly into his face, helping to dry the beads of sweat that kept popping up on his brow.

"You ready mate? We're about two minutes out," Ben's voice echoed in Joe's ear forcing him to tear his gaze away from the window. He cleared his throat nervously, making eye contact with the producer he had just met this morning.

"I guess so. Is it possible to be ready to walk into a house with a bunch of other nutters that clearly are lacking brain cells, like myself?"

"Aw come on - just think about all the beaut ladies," Ben replied with a wink.

Joe chuckled and rolled his eyes, glancing outside again, as his eyes widened. A beautiful green lawn suddenly extended out into the desert, a large white mansion sitting up ahead, looking quite out of place among the sandy terrain.

"It's impressive, isn't it?" Ben asked. "I know you're pissing yourself. Everyone does at this point in the day, no matter what they do for a living. But I promise mate, this will be the summer of your life."

Joe snorted as he focused his gaze back on Ben who was fiddling with a microphone pack, extending the wire out to hook onto Joe's crisp white tee. "I just hope I don't make a tit out of myself on national television."

"Nah...you'll be fine, you're used to broadcasting your life, right? As a friend, I'd tell you to remember your parents are watching...and the entire nation. But as your producer - I'm telling you to forget about the cameras and go wild," Ben added with a smirk and a wink, "Who knows, maybe you'll even find love."

Mic pack now attached, Joe wiped his sweaty hands on his black jeans as the car came to a stop in the long driveway, and Ben reached for the door handle. Joe slid across the seat, and stepped out into the heat. His gaze shifted to the right as he heard another car door slam close and a rush of footsteps on the gravel. His eyes zeroed in on a flash of bright red - he soon realized it was a girl's hair, as she flicked it over her shoulder and quickly looked behind her, slightly startled as she heard Joe's car door slam.

"Whoa," Joe thought to himself.

He felt the noise around him fade away as he locked onto the girl's pair of big hazel eyes that slightly widened, and then crinkled as her mouth turned up into a small smile. Joe could feel Ben gripping his elbow at the same time as a woman dressed in all black put an arm around the redhead's shoulders and rushed her up the stairs and into the mansion.

Joe realized he had been holding his breath and exhaled loudly as Ben quickly ushered him across the lawn and around the corner, coming upon a sparkling blue pool behind the house.

"That wasn't supposed to happen...bloody Marisol always late with her girls," Ben muttered under his breath.

"Wait was that redhead a..." Joe started, craning his neck behind him trying to get another look at the beautiful girl he had only seen for three seconds, but who had somehow taken his breath away.

"Don't worry about it," Ben interrupted, anxiously checking his watch. "We're rolling in 5 minutes - see that X over across the pool? Between the meathead in red shorts and the douche in blue shorts? That's your spot. Go stand there and look charming. Remember, you're the charmer of the season. Good luck, Joe...your Oasis Island summer is about to begin!"

---

Dianne shivered as the mansion's air conditioning hit her body and she tried in vain to pull her short dress down to cover more of her legs. Goose bumps popped up on her arms and she rolled her eyes as Marisol's pace quickened. She was having a hard time keeping up with the sky-high heels they had told her to wear, and she felt dangerously close to toppling over.

"I can't wait to get out of this ridiculous outfit," Dianne thought to herself as she sighed out loud.

"What's up, buttercup?" Marisol questioned, practically running across the marble entryway. "Don't tell me you're having second thoughts again, we don't have time for second thoughts. Second thoughts don't exist on shoot days, alright?"

Dianne smiled in spite of herself - Marisol could be unintentionally funny when she was stressed. She felt like she knew the high strung PA better than the other girls she had joined at the hotel - mainly because it was Marisol who had talked her off the ledge upon arrival, just 24 hours ago.

FLASHBACK

"I don't think I can do this. I don't even know why I'm here! My friends signed me up, and I swear I was suffering from some sort of psychotic break the past month or something, I don't know why I would have signed that contract," Dianne hissed across the table in the secluded bar in the hotel.

Marisol didn't look impressed. "Listen, Dianne. I know you feel out of your comfort zone. All the girls do. In fact, the guys do too. I promise, you are not alone."

"Yeah but those other girls are gorgeous. Stunning. They all look the part. I'm a hairdresser from Australia, what the hell am I doing here among models and actresses and...social media stars," Dianne added with disgust apparent in her voice.

"You're gorgeous too," Marisol groaned. "How many times do I have to tell you? You don't make it on this show if you're not gorgeous. In fact, I would be surprised if you weren't the top girl at the selection ceremony."

Dianne gasped, "The SELECTION ceremony? That's what they call it? I can't even handle how gross this show--"

Marisol cut her off, "What do you want us to call it? You're there to eye up the man candy and pick who you think is the hottest. You select a man. It is the selection ceremony. So listen up buttercup - you might think you're just a hairdresser from Australia, but you've got that something. That "it" factor. Maybe it's your hair, maybe it's your...biting personality."

Dianne couldn't help but smirk in response.

"But there is something about you - and believe me, if you don't manage to find love on this show," Marisol paused as Dianne snorted. "You will be noticed. And you will be able to finally get your name out there in the dance world. I know you think we're the big bad producers out to get you, but I'm actually trying to help all my girls. You have dreams - Oasis Island is here to make them come true."

Dianne looked at Marisol across the table. The PA wasn't much taller than her, small and mousy, with dark hair and round glasses. Dianne was briefly amused at how she'd underestimated her. Marisol was sharp. And clearly very persuasive, as she took another drink of the wine in front of her. Was she going crazy? Was she actually agreeing to go on national television to "find love"?

"Against my better judgment," Dianne started warily, taking a final swig and draining the wine glass staring at Marisol's beaming face. "Let's do this."

END FLASHBACK

"I'm not having second thoughts, I'm just afraid you're going to break my ankles." Dianne grumbled as Marisol continued to drag her through the mansion at a pace too quick for her to take in her surroundings.

"I told you to practice in those shoes last night! You're my firecracker - you gotta look the part," Marisol whispered.

"Why are you whispering?" Dianne questioned.

Marisol didn't answer - instead, she gestured forward at a double door that led out onto a balcony, the other girls already crowding around getting mic'ed up.

As Marisol began to pull her forward again, Dianne pulled back. "Hey - just one more question. Was that guy I saw getting out of another car one of THE guys?"

Marisol's eyes widened. "I don't know what you're talking about, there wasn't anyone out there."

Dianne rolled her eyes "I know I'm not supposed to know ahead of time, but just tell me. I need to know."

And she did need to know. Although she wasn't quite sure why. She could still see his piercing blue eyes in her head, and for some reason they made her heart beat a little faster.

Marisol looked around nervously as she grabbed a mic pack and attached it to Dianne's tight nude dress. With a curt nod, she hissed, "Yes. And you better pretend you've never seen him before in your life."

Dianne grinned as she was pushed toward the big doors. Closing her eyes briefly, she took a deep breath and then walked forward, following the other girls to line up. It was time.