Chapter 3

"CUT! And that's a wrap on the selection ceremony," a loud voice echoed across the backyard, as the cameras immediately pulled back and a frenzy of activity began as pieces of furniture were being moved and producers began to beeline toward the couples.

Dianne could still feel Joe's fingertips lightly brushing against her shoulder, as she worked up the nerve to glance up, finding him watching her out of the corner of his eye. She smiled as he began to blush, realizing he had been caught sneaking a peek.

"So...this is...," Dianne started.

"Insane?" Joe interrupted. "Because it feels bloody insane to me."

She let out a giggle. "Yeah. This is...insane."

Her eyes were suddenly ripped away from him as she felt a hand grip her elbow, at the same time as Joe was pulled the opposite direction. She opened her mouth to say something...she wasn't sure what...but wasn't able to get anything out, hoping the look she was conveying with her eyes showed the regret she felt as his fingertips left her arm.

"Dianne," Marisol hissed, walking her a few feet away across the lawn. "What are you doing?'

"What do you mean?" Dianne asked, confused about how she'd already messed up. "I picked the cute guy from the front of the mansion - what were the chances he hadn't been picked? I didn't make any enemies, and I'm excited to get to know Joe better."

Marisol rolled her eyes. "You're supposed to be my firecracker. You were supposed to rip another guy away from one of the girls. That's the drama we want. That's the explosion you need to set up - we don't need you to play it safe. Didn't you wonder why you were going out last?"

Dianne felt her jaw tighten. "Marisol, you said I'm supposed to be the firecracker - not the villain. I genuinely wanted to be partnered with Joe..."

Marisol pursed her lips. "I thought you understood how this worked, Dianne."

Dianne looked at her, confusion evident on her face. "I don't..."

"It's fine," Marisol interjected, her face softening slightly. "I guess I didn't fully explain what "firecracker" means...but from now on, I need you to be a little sassier. A little more...confrontational. I know you have it in you. Take your time though...now that you're with Joe, we need to set that up a little bit more anyway."

Dianne continued to watch Marisol, who was now furiously making notes on her clipboard, mumbling to herself. She felt a niggling sense of dread begin to form in the pit of her stomach. It was slowly becoming clear to her - Oasis Island wasn't quite the oasis they had promised. But it was still a way to get her foot in the door in the dance world in London. She couldn't discount the opportunity.

She glanced back behind her quickly, seeing Joe staring at his producer, a dark shadow seemed to be placed over his face, his lips turned down into a slight frown. He looked up quickly, almost as if drawn to Dianne's eyes that were now staring at him. His face softened briefly, as he let his shoulders raise slightly into an apologetic shrug.

---

"Joe, my man, that was unexpected," Ben started, staring intensely at Joe who was still trying to get his bearings. "You got DIANNE? This is unexpected."

Joe's eyes narrowed, "What are you talking about? Is it so hard to believe that someone like Dianne would pick me?'

Ben's eyes widened, "Oh no, no...of course not." Joe could feel him covering up his slip up in words, panic rising in his voice. "I just meant that when I saw the line up of girls, I saw you with Hannah. She's a little...safer."