Epilogue

A stiff breeze rustled the treetops. Pine needles scattered the ground. Although it was near the end of leaf-fall, the pine trees were still full and lush.
At the edge of the pine forest, at the shore of the lake, sat a gray tom. His light amber gaze flickered to the starry sky above. His gaze portrayed every emotion inside him.
He knew, though, for the sake of his Clan that he had to move on. He had to follow in his father's footsteps. He had to give his love to his mate and kit.
His heart ached as he remembered another cat, but he couldn't ever let Dovemist or his kit know about her. He loved them, no doubt, but he couldn't help long for what could have been with the cream she-cat with icy blue eyes that held nothing, and everything. He picked out a star in the sky that stared down on him, shinning brighter than the rest.
•*•*•*•*•*•*•
A faint, dry breeze rustled the yellow grass. Dawn light filtered through the branches of the gorse bush. A gray tabby and white she-cat lay with her tail curled around two bundles of fur.
A black and white tom sat beside her, licking her ears gently. His copper eyes shone with affection. "What shall we name them?"
        The mother studied her kits with loving hazel eyes, before reaching down to touch the white tom with her nose. "How about Puddlekit?"
        The father stroked the gray tabby she-cat's side with his tail approvingly. "Lovely," he responded.
         The she-cat took a moment to gaze at the gray and white she-kit. She thought for a heartbeat longer, before giving a small smile, as though remembering times of the past.
        She touched the she-kit lightly with her tail. "Rosekit," she finally whispered. "After a dear friend of mine, who never understood how many cats really loved her."
         The gray tabby pulled her kits close, never wanting to let go.