Chapter Twenty-Seven

Stars dotted the clouded purple-blue sky. The bright silver moon shone through clouds, uncovered. Aspenrose slipped out of her rock cleft den, padding silently to the edge of the clearing. She padded out of the shallow scoop of the camp, staying at the edge.
Aspenrose gazed up at the wonderful night sky, sighing softly to herself. The peace was wonderful, the loneliness comforting. She had been spending a lot of time either in the medicine cat den with Firepool, or hanging out with Addertuft. It was seldom she got time to herself. Even though Addertuft was her best and only friend, she liked the solitary quiet.
The only time her and Addertuft weren't together was either when Aspenrose was training with Firepool, or when Addertuft was on warrior duties; and when Addertuft was off with Jaggedswirl. The thought pained her, but she had to be strong for her friend.
She pondered for a moment. I could choose love over loyalty if I truly wanted. She remembered the few times Driftfrost had visited her. You can choose your own destiny, he had said. Only you can decide what's right for you. She shook herself. The memories of Addertuft came back, laughing with her and chasing her across the moor. It almost made her smile. I'll choose loyalty over love any day.
Then she remembered the prophecy. She still hadn't figured out what it truly meant, and she was starting to doubt whether it was really a prophecy at all. Something flickered at the edge of Aspenrose's vision, stealing her away from her thoughts.
Cats dotted the clearing, flanks rising and falling in sleep. Most warriors and apprentices and even the leader and deputy slept under the stars. WindClan camp didn't have many dens. The medicine cats shared a den tucked away in a rock cleft. The elders slept in an old badger den, and previous queens would sleep under a gorse bush.
Aspenrose almost turned away before her gaze drifted to a moving shadow at the other side of the camp. Two shadows. Two cats were picking their way out of camp. The moon shone brightly, and set the two cats' fur alight.
One had a shadowy pelt, too hard to make out, but the other's fur shone silver, unmistakably recognizable. Addertuft followed the shadowy cat down a slope toward the lake. The cat in the lead stopped, turning to scan the moor.
Aspenrose felt her heart sink. Copper eyes flashed in the moonlight. The feelings she had tried to mask spread across her face for the first time in her life. She wanted to curl up in a ball. The bottled up emotions broke free, but she still tried to tuck them away. She had to, for Addertuft.
If Addertuft ever knew, she would give up Jaggedswirl for Aspenrose. Aspenrose couldn't let that happen. She wanted her friend to be happy more than anything.
But she couldn't stop it. The feelings she had hidden for so long swallowed her, threatening to take her down.
Aspenrose couldn't think. She bolted. Aspenrose ran across the moor, picking up speed. Her paws grew lighter, and the wind seemed to carry away her worries. Like shackles being broken, her emotions lifted off her chest, so she kept running. She didn't know where her paws would take her, but she never wanted this to end. She felt she could almost fly.
Then a hard warm wind blew, making Aspenrose's eyes stream with tears. Shadows fell over her, blocking out the silver light. She slowed her pace, glancing up at the sky. A dark gray cloud had covered the shinning moon, blocking out any sign of light.