Chapter 13: Walking Away

Sam didn't move. Tears fell from her cheeks and landed on the letter she was writing.

"I'm so sorry, Virgil," she whispered and sealed the letter in an envelope.

========Time skip======
Virgil reached over to hug his wife only to find her side empty and cold.

He sat up and looked around the room. The closet door was open and Sam's clothing was gone.

"No, no, no," he said darting out of the room.

He reached the nursery and looked inside. Four sleeping babies. No Sam.

He ran back to his room and saw the envelope sitting on his nightstand.

He ripped open the paper and yanked a freshly folded sheet of lined paper out. Unfolding it with shaking hands, he began to read.

'My dearest, Virgil.

I hope you're reading this when I'm gone. I don't think I could bear to face you right now.

My parents need me. Our world is dying, and I can't let that happen. I know we'll meet again, someday. Hopefully someday soon.

I love you, and I love our children. More than anything. But I couldn't sit idly by. I'll try to call as much as possible.

But until we see each other again, stay strong. Talk to your family. Take some weight, but give some too. Remember, I can still lift more than you can.

Love, Sam.

P.S. yes I took my ring. We don't have time for that sappy 'keep my ring safe' crap. We're adults.'

Virgil placed the letter on his night stand, sat next the cradles, and cried.

"Dad where is Mom?" Lucy's soft voice asked from the doorway.

"She's gone, and I don't she's ever coming back," Virgil said tears streaming down his face.