Chapter 4: Heartbeat

Alan breathed in and out, listening to the soft beeping of the heart monitor in the med bay.

It was weird being in here with someone he didn't know, but he didn't mind it.

The woman had saved his life, so he owed her enough to sit by her bedside until she woke up.

Spiderman was with Virgil while Alan had volunteered to watch the woman. Her chest was barely moving. He sighed as Spiderman ran in the room, followed by a tired-eyed Virgil.

"See? It was just Scott taking off for a mission. She's not flatlining." The masked man put his hand on his head.

"Sorry... I just...I thought..." Alan got up and put a hand on his shoulder. He could feel the muscle, a bit like Gordon.

"It's okay, we've both been in the same spot." Virgil stepped up.

"Too many times for comfort."

"Me too."

Alan raised an eyebrow and then shrugged his shoulders. It must happen a lot, them being superheroes and all that. Spiderman went and sat in the chair next to her bed.

"Wake up soon Annie. Love you." Virgil waved him over.

"We should let her rest. Here, we can go upstairs and meet Gordon. Alright?"

"Ugh. Can I come?" The three men turned around, seeing Annie trying to sit up.

"Um... Sam, could you come here for a bit?" Virgil called over his shoulder.